U

9 Messages

Friday, February 23rd, 2024 7:30 PM

Closed

Internet upload speed

I changed to the gigx2 plan which should provide up to 200 MBps. My old plan was the Gig Extra and limited to 35 MBps. Using xfinity's speed test I still show 35 MBps. I've rebooted my modem a handful of times and called support twice with no avil. Any advise on how to resolve this issue?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

8 months ago

Modem: Motorola MB8600

The MB8600 is not approved for Gigabit Internet service, nor for the new upload speeds. It's approved for wired download speeds "Up to 949 Mbps".

Realize that although Comcast calls some devices "Approved" and some "Recommended", for all but a few devices those designations only mean "approved/recommended for use with their Internet service", and not necessarily "approved for Gigabit" or for the new upload speeds. See the links previously posted.

You need one of the devices shown with an upload speed rating in the "All Compatible Devices" PDF and the Reddit link, which also lists other requirements for those speeds. Comcast could make all of this much clearer, but they have chosen not to do so.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

9 Messages

Help me understand how the links are helpful? I do not care about downloads speeds. My only goal it’s to increase my upload speed. 

Contributor

• 

168 Messages

@user_fv0e3d - there are currently only 5 approved Cable Modems by Xfinity for what they call "Next Gen Speed Tier" and the CM3000 is not even available the retail sale, the modem you use is not on the list of approved devices for the "Next Gen Speed Tier", but it looks like you already is process of addressing that issue. There is also a list of requirement that you have to meet in order to take advantage of the higher upload speeds, those are listed under Eligibility in the first link.

Thank you @BruceW for providing more clarifications.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

8 months ago

... gigx2 plan which should provide up to 200 MBps ...

What is the model number of the modem or gateway you are using?

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

9 Messages

9 Messages

8 months ago

9 Messages

8 months ago

So that we're clear I understand that I will not get more than 949 Mbps and don't care about the download speed. I only want a faster upload speed. It's hard to believe that a cable modem capable of a gig connection is only able to do 35Mbps upload. I really hate to spend 300 bucks on a new cable modem to gain an extra 100mb in upload speed.

It seems silly that my current modem which is rated for 32x8 channel bonding but the modem show that the upload is provised for four channels.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

8 months ago

@user_fv0e3d: Note that Forum Administrator @XfinityJessie has posted:

... the forum will automatically privatize any post that either has some type of guideline violation or has images attached. 
Images are typically approved by our team within 24-48 hours after being posted ...

See https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/getting-started/disappearing-forum-posts/606894c37437b81d05b7b638?commentId=606b25cb322c887da0f3c0a2

9 Messages

8 months ago

I see my post was marked private, probably becuase I posted an image of my modem channel bonding. Didn't know that images take 24 hours to be reviewed and posted. 

Here's the text (minus the image) in my last post:

So that we're clear I understand that I will not get more than 949 Mbps and don't care about the download speed. I only want a faster upload speed. It's hard to believe that a cable modem capable of a gig connection is only able to do 35Mbps upload. I really hate to spend 300 bucks on a new cable modem to gain an extra 100mb in upload speed.

It seems silly that my current modem which is rated for 32x8 channel bonding but the modem show that the upload is provised for four channels.

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

@user_fv0e3d​ 

Your post with the image has now been made publicly viewable.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

9 Messages

8 months ago

Also I just ordered the CODA56 modem which is on the approved list of modems with over 400mb upload speed. I hope it works. 

9 Messages

8 months ago

Okay I just activated a CODA56 and still getting an upload speed of 35-40Mbps. I feared that a new modem wouldn’t resolve the issue. Any advice on getting Xfinity to provision the line correctly or other options?

9 Messages

8 months ago

Update: I rebooted the modem two more times and now I’m getting around 200Mbps. It works!!

@BruceW thank you for your help, support and patience. I appreciate it. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

8 months ago

... I rebooted the modem two more times and now I’m getting around 200Mbps. It works!! ...

Glad to hear it! A pity Comcast doesn't make all the information on the new upload speeds easier to find. Enjoy!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here