J

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

Tuesday, August 20th, 2024 5:10 PM

internet speeds reduced after xfinity 'enhanced' street network & support concerns

in the first week of august 2024 i got an email letting me know xfinity would be in my neighborhood (01002) to do service on our lines on 8/13 & 8/14. the email said 'Enhancing the Xfinity network for faster, more reliable speeds'. any time a company uses terms like that, i get nervous, because its often followed by a reduction in customer experience. the morning of 8/13 i ran a speed test, i got 750mb/s (i pay for 800mb/s). shortly after the first day of work was done, i tested my speeds again & got 600mb/s. the next day my speeds had dropped even more to around 450mb/s, which is where they are now resting. i know i cant expect 100% of my provisioned plan speed, but 75% or so is something i expect. i have changed nothing, updated nothing, the only changes have been the work on the 13th & 14th, and frankly it would be the biggest coincidence in the world if it were something other than the network 'enhancement' that caused the speed decrease. i experienced something like this a couple years back too, but then it turned out xfinity changed my plan from 800mb/s to 1000mb/s without my knowledge, and for some odd reason , that caused my internet speeds to drop to 450mb/s. ive since confirmed with support my plan is still at 800mb/s, ive done the whole power cycling my modem (arris SB8200) and ive intentionally used the word 'internet' and not wifi because my speed testing has all been done directly connected to the SB8200, so its not a issue with wifi. i just want the 700+mb/s speeds ive been getting for the last year or so back, thats all. ive also checked with my neighbor who is also getting very slow speeds, although he is older and rarely uses his internet. im not here to bad mouth xfinity, i just want what i pay for.

*edit*

ive posted this in case others in my area are also experiencing this issue. many of the homes on my street are rentals for college kids, and they arent back in school yet, so no one is in many of the homes to report issues yet. also, i have a xfinity contractor coming in the next hour or so to check the line, so ill be sure to update with the results, in the chance anyone cares.

**EDIT#2**

the xfinity contractor just left. he was the same dude who came the last time i had an issue. hes a super professional guy, and no nonsense. he said the issue isnt in my home, so he needs to put in a ticket for a line crew to come out in a cherry picker to check the 'enhancement' work xfinity did this past week, as there must be an issue with that work. so ill need to update this post when they come back to remedy the issue. since i still have internet , its not a high priority, but more a quality of life thing, so my issue is going to be addressed when they have time, which is fine with me.

Official Employee

• 

894 Messages

2 months ago

jboydgolfer Thanks for posting on our Community Forums. I'm sorry to hear that you started experiencing issues after the work was completed, and my first thought was the outside lines and connections need to be checked. I'm glad that you were able to get a technician out to do this. Have you heard back yet or have seen the maintenance crew in the area to complete the other work order?

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

No progress has been made. The xfinity tech told me he would put in a work order, & i imagine ill hear from support once that process begins. Im still getting the same speeds at about 50% my service speed. Ill update my post when i hear back. The primary concern I see, is that UMASS Amherst, Amherst College, & Hampshire college, will be returning to school very soon which won’t help my reduced Internet speeds. I believe move-in day is next week, so I hope they resolve it soon.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

1 month ago

I still haven’t heard from support, but my speeds have improved. I wouldve thought they’d have contacted me & told me they were addressing the issue, or atleast acknowledge & apologize for the weeks of problems. Hopefully its actually remedied. If they end up contacting me ill update this, & ill include whether or not they gave me a discount for the reduced service.

i am REALLY beginning to lose my cool dealing with the xfinity support. its like speaking with robots, or scarecrows. they seem to know nothing about the issues with my service, and dont seem to have a solid grasp on english either. i am beginning to think its not a human you get when the chat connects you with an agent. i was asking questions, and the responses were not suitable.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

1 month ago

Still no word from xfinity. The increase in my speeds was temporary sadly. Im back to where i was. Today Xfinity was again working on the line, i dont know if it was because of the speed issues, since i havent been contacted. Just posting so the thread isnt closed. Ill update with whatever they do, when they do it

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Thank you for keeping us posted, @jboydgolfer! Please let us know if things deteriorate, or if you are not automatically reimbursed for the reduction in performance. We may need to issue a credit like that manually, because the automated system is only set up to issue credits when there is a complete loss of service. Either way, we are here for your support.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

Its definitely been an uphill battle, & to say its been frustrating would be a serious understatement. I think ive been patient & reasonable, ive tempered my expectations for a speedy resolution due to me still having service, slow as it may be. However, being forced to contact support to get an update each time, & further having support being completely oblivious to my situation & requiring me to start back at step #1 in the trouble shooting process, & re-explain the entire issue has strained my patience to its end. Last night i called support to try & get an update , the woman i spoke to started me back at ‘lets try power cycling your modem’, & then to ‘lets schedule a technician to come out’, despite my having told her ive already taken those steps not minutes before her suggesting them. The icing on the cake is every time i reach out to support about my slow internet speeds, the person taking my call tries upselling me to a higher tier internet speed, which considering the reason for my contacting support, is tantamount to saying ‘we arent listening to you, & we dont care’. After nearly losing my cool with the woman last night with support, i apologized for my frustration , told her its not her fault, but im just tired of this support purgatory, & wished her a good night. She told me to expect a call from elevated support in the next 24-48hrs, so I wait. 

What i think bothers me most is the complete lack of notes on my account , something that a support agent could read to be brought up to speed with steps already taken, & where in the support process the customer is. If the notes i speak of already exist, then the support staff doesnt read them when i call. All im asking is to get the service i pay for, & a reasonably expeditious resolution if a problem arises, thats not a big expectation.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

@jboydgolfer I appreciate you sharing your feedback with us. This is definitely not the experience we would like for any of our customers to have. I also would like to thank you for the patience you've had, thus far.

I would be more than happy to review your account to see what's the status of the work being done on the line and what else we can do to remedy this service issue once and for all. Please send a direct message by clicking the chat icon in the upper right corner of the page, click on the pen and paper icon, then enter “Xfinity Support” in the “To” section.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

@XfinityRaul​ i genuinely appreciate your offer, but ive had similar offers on more than a few occasions over the past weeks, & the last time i was willing to try was last night.  now im going in a different direction. ill still update this thread when the matter is concluded. Thank you

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

jboydgolfer If you change your mind, we are happy to help you on this platform. We are here 7 days a week and are a team of experts. Let us know if you do need anything at all! 

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

1 month ago

I noticed a line crew working a few houses down from me today, im hopeful this is the solution ive been awaiting.

edit*

I tested my speeds as i noticed the line crew on my street & they were acceptable.  i just spoke with the line crew worker, who came to my home & tested things here & they looked good to him too. He told me although the arris SB8200 is WAS on the officially supported modem list, it doesnt support the new xfinity ‘enhanced’ network. I never got a memo, or email about this, but it would explain why this issue was so similar to the last time when they changed my provisioning from 800 to 1000 & i saw a 50% decrease. Im just hoping my speeds stay where they are, it also doesnt explain why my speeds improved when the line crew was doing what they were doing, because he told me what he changed shouldnt change my speeds.   

im sitting here reading Xfinity's email on 8/7 about deploying their new network, and there is no mention of customers who use their own equipment needing new modems to function properly moving forward.

im hopeful my speed concerns are resolved, truly i am, but my complaint is 2 parts, 1 being the speed, the other being the customer service and how terrible things are handled. im technologically literate if only to a mildly above average degree, and i was confounded and frustrated, now i imagine a 70yr old retiree, or someone who has no understanding having to navigate that support purgatory. it needs to be changed.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

26 days ago

i got a response to my complaint about comcasts slow speeds after the work done on my street, and the terrible customer support experience ive had relating to addressing the matter. to condense it down to a TLDR, comcasts response is as follows. 'its Your fault'.

it makes several assertions and claims that are plain false, and expertly avoids taking the slightest bit of responsibility. all it takes is someone to read these forum posts, and you can see my posts devolve from calm, and hopeful, to dejected and angry. when you make a mistake, you apologize (which has never been done), you remedy it (which took a few weeks), and you make up for it (which im doubtful will ever come), since theyre claiming its my fault.

Sadly the matter isnt closed yet, ive called this 'executive' consumer relations guy and left a voicemail (weird how i had no issue calling HIM on the 1st try) , and im just a lowly person, not even an 'executive'.

ill post with the outcome.

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

Hey there, jboydgolfer, thanks for reaching out through Xfinity Forums regarding this ongoing issue. This is definitely not the customer experience we want you to have. I work from home and I know how important it is to have fast speeds. I would be happy to take a look at your connection. 

To send a "Direct Message" to Xfinity Support:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
Click the "Direct Messaging" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there
- As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list
- An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
Press Enter to send it.

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

@XfinityJeniece​ thanks for your response. however my speed issues were finally remedied on 9/4. i had originally opened the ticket with support regarding my speeds, but i added poor support experiences to my concern. after a couple weeks of getting nowhere , i opened an FCC complaint in hopes of forcing comcast to address my issue. my last post was made after getting a very evasive reply from a 'comcast support executive'. this person made claims, some of which were either just wrong or false, making it seem like i was to blame for my speed concerns, which can easily be disproven. this 'executive' claims he apologized in his reply to me , that never happened. he claims the speed issues were a result of my out dated modem , which (if true) would mean i wouldnt be getting my proper speeds now.

I knew xfinity was 'upgrading' their network, so i tested my speeds an hour before work began, and a couple hours after it was fully completed. My speeds were consistent for a year or more, and on the day the work was completed, my speeds had dropped by 60%.  Comcast's 'executive' has attributed this decline in speeds to my outdated devices not functioning on the new 'enhanced network', but if that were accurate, why would i be getting my full speeds again (we're not talking about gig speeds)? dont get me wrong, im glad my speeds are back, but there is still a few issues at hand to be addressed. 1- i spent nearly a month at 40% service speed through no fault of my own. 2- i've had arguably one of the worst support experiences ive ever had during that several weeks, and its not acceptable. 3- i have never once gotten an apology, what i did get was a evasive response blaming me for the issues, while expertly avoiding apologizing, while claiming he did in fact apologize.

This support executive claims he attempted to contact me several times both by email and by calling me. he emailed one message to me (which he re-forwarded again several days after the first) , with a very vague message that went to my spam folder, and when i discovered it, i responded asking for more details so id know it was legitimate, he never responded. he claims he called me which is false. the response he sent had contact info, so i called him shortly after reading his response, it went to his voicemail, and he hasnt returned my call yet either. this is supposedly the best support comcast has to offer, so what hope do i have of seeing a remedy to my concerns? the last time i had an issue , comcast called me, i spoke with a nice woman, and we came to a solution rather quickly, its just a shame support seems to have gone down hill since then.

what recourse do i have?

Official Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

@jboydgolfer I'm happy to hear you are in touch with someone directly to resolve this issue. If you change your mind we are available to assist you 24/7 and can assist with all issues regarding your account. I hope that in the future we can win back your loyalty with a superior customer service experience. 

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

19 days ago

ive gotten yet another response from the so called 'executive' support, this man named 'steven' who apparently thinks getting 40% of the services you pay for, over a near month long period is not justification for compensation, or apology. Its also me who is broken and not the hellish comcast support system. this person may squash my complaint, but i wont stop until i am heard and given the apology, and compensation i deserve. i know for a fact if i paid comcast 40% of my bill, i would get 0% of my services.  When did it become okay to treat customers like groveling peasants, lucky to even be graced by the services of the great benefactor which is supposedly our corporate god? ill stand on principle on this one, ill post it on social media, whatever i need to do. comcast is wrong, and i am not to blame.

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

12 days ago

Its been over a month of seeking resolution to this issue & it is now clear comcast/xfinity wants me to go away. Ive reached out to this steven m person who has adeptly avoided & ignored me (im not sure how he is an executive support member). In fact im beginning to suspect most comcast support is just ai or some program that is designed to frustrate customers in to going away, since ive never spoken with anyone from executive support. I plan to cancel my service with xfinity & use an alternative. All of this couldve been avoided by even standard support accountability.

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

11 days ago

Last night I was refunded $96 for the near month-long service interruption. I’m grateful to be refunded since I paid for something a month ago and I never got it however, I still say that’s not enough. If I order something on amazon and it doesn’t arrive or it arrives damaged ,me getting a refund is never in question, but with comcast ive had to claw and fight for it. From August 16 till now I’ve spent almost 12 hours communicating with support, chatting with support or emailing support. I know why its this way, because people have told me, but since id never experienced it i reserved judgement, but now im 100% sure, comcast makes it hard because they know people dont have the time to jump through all these hoops to get what they paid for. Since they already have our money, its easier to frustrate them, because chances are high they will go away & comcast share holder will keep that money. 

this is the modern customer service treatment, & no matter how many times they say ‘thats not the experience we want our customers to have’ , if they were being truthful, they wouldnt have made it this way. It really is just the southpark cable guy rubbing his shirt

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

10 days ago

Today i got a call from a comcast representative in regards to my FCC complaint. This person was professional & is looking in to all my concerns. Although the service interruptions were easily verified and have been remedied, a greater concern of lackluster support became apparent. This person said they are aware of how the ‘steven m’ person mishandled my complaint, & apologized for his poor service & said he wouldve done things differently. 

The person i spoke with today said all matters will be looked in to, so im expecting a call back next week. This only highlights my original assertion that proper support & taking responsibility couldve avoided all this hassle. 

i will update this thread with its conclusion once i get the call back i was promised today, but i think that will be the final post for anyone interested. 

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

4 days ago

i was wrong in the end. the support member this time was named 'mizraim'. he seemed pleasant and polite, and assured me my concerns would be remedied, and ive got to admit he fooled me.

we worked through my concerns, and along the way id argued why i felt i was owed more than having my payment for services not received refunded. he agreed it was possible and said he'd call me 2 days ago to discuss it. that call never came. only confirming he is a liar. i will be shopping new isp's

im finished with comcrap

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here