A

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Friday, March 4th, 2022 4:26 PM

Closed

Internet modem drops connection randomly throughout the day

I have Xfinity with a Motorola MG8702, DOCSIS 3.1, Cable Modem + Wi-Fi Router.  At random times throughout the day, the internet will drop out and I have to reset the modem.  Turning the modem on and off fixes the problem, but it's becoming more and more frequent that I have to reset it.  This is disrupting my work and causing problems with my smart home devices.  I'm tired of having to reset all my smart plugs over and over again. 

What can I do to keep the modem connected?  This is supposed to be a recommended modem from comcast.  I purchased it myself instead of paying to rent an xfinity one, and chose one from your recommended list. [Edit: Language] 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

3 years ago

... What can I do to keep the modem connected? ...

Are you connecting via Wifi or Ethernet? If Wifi, it's best to switch to an Ethernet cable connection if possible for testing. That would allow you to determine whether the problem is the Wifi signal or the link between your modem or gateway and Comcast's network. Network connection problems that affect both Ethernet and Wifi devices are often due to poor coax connections or damaged coax cable, usually in or near your home.

If you want to troubleshoot this yourself, please see Internet Troubleshooting Tips. If you still need help, please post your Internet plan speed and the following information from your modem (from http://192.168.100.1):

• downstream power levels, SNR, and error counts
  • upstream power levels
  • event log, if available (Be sure to remove or blot out any MAC addresses. Forum security processing considers them "personal information" and may prevent the event log from posting if these are present.)

If you can't find the problem or you'd rather have Comcast take care of it, call them at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or use one of the options on https://www.xfinity.com/support/contact-us/. It's not likely they can fix the problem remotely. If not, insist they send a tech out to identify the cause and correct it.

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit ($70-$100) unless you have their Service Protection Plan ( https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/service-protection-plan, closed to customers that don't already have it). If the trouble is due to a faulty Comcast rental device or anything outside your home you shouldn't be charged.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post (by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...") the author of the post you are Commenting on is notified of your response. But if you Reply, the author of the post you are Replying to is NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Problem Solver

• 

497 Messages

3 years ago

Hi, @AGDing21 

Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Same problem happening here. Connection used to maybe once/twice a week, now it's 20-30 times PER DAY. I have a ticket open and a scheduled technician appt for 2 days from now, but am looking for an answer or possible suggestions in the meantime, as it's becoming impossible to work from home.

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

@user_6d0f3c​ 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Contributor

• 

225 Messages

3 years ago

AGDing21,

Ask your neighbor(s) who use Xfinity if they are having the same issue.  If so, it is highly unlikely that anything done to your router/modem will fix your problem.

That could save you hours of wasted time.

Also, check out:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/status

If you are surrounded by hundreds or thousands of Xfinity users who are having outages, save yourself time and effort looking at your equipment.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here