U

Monday, July 8th, 2024 4:12 PM

Internet drops for about 10 seconds a few times per hour every day.

My internet signal has been extremely inconsistent for 3 weeks now. I lose signal for about 10 seconds a couple times almost every hour, day & night. My parents happen to live next door and notice their signal drop sometimes but they typically stream video from YouTube TV so that buffers ahead a little. I teach online and get disconnected from my class constantly now. My phone calls to parents and students are done over Google Voice, so my calls drop often now. 

I have tried a new modem/router and saw zero improvement in the issue. I have spoke with and chatted with a couple different tech agents and they don't see an issue. I have had a technician out to the house a few days ago and he couldn't locate an issue. 

I am extremely frustrated as this looks very unprofessional during my workday and is generally annoying after my workday. Especially for close to $100/month for my ISP fees. 

I have read similar issues to mine on these forums but almost never see a resolution posted. I did see one post where this issue got fixed by having the outside signal booster replaced (cable internet is all that I have here... fiberoptic lines are never going to be installed). 

Anyone seen an actual resolution to this issue?

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

2 months ago

Greetings, @user_SS1917! I hope your week has been treating you well. Thanks so much for taking a moment out of your busy day to leave a post on our community forum. I'm sorry to hear you're still having issues with your connection, but you have definitely come to the right place for assistance.

Thank you for describing what was happening in such great detail. I have encountered other situations where customers were seeing brief dropouts throughout the day, but the consistency and frequency you described here is a little uncommon. If the technician reported that all your signal levels were within specification, then there may be an external connectivity issue that needs to be addressed. Do you know if the technician replaced any lines or connection points outside during the course of your visit?

(edited)

7 Messages

@XfinityJamesC​ 

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, a splice in my line was replaced during my technician visit. (A couple years back a snow storm knocked the line down and a splice was put in during the repair.) The splice did have some rust. The technician replaced it because he thought there might be a point in the connection where the splice was being pulled apart slowly. Unfortunately, this did not fix the issue. There's about 50 feet of line from the street to my house. I am thinking of asking for the technician to replace that line when he comes out on Friday.

Have you heard of a faulty external signal booster causing this issue? Also, I have tried to run diagnostics on my end to screenshot and have prepared for the tech when he comes back (packet loss for instance). I can't seem to find how to do that either on the Xfinity mobile app or on the website. Is there a way to do that? Would it even be helpful for the tech?

Related... I realize this is anecdotal evidence, but everyone I talk to in my area seems to be experiencing signal loss like this. They just aren't broadcasting video (when I am teaching class) or using their internet to make phone calls (my school phone is Google Voice) so they are chalking up the recent, semi-regular buffering when streaming video as just an annoyance. Not many of them have logged service calls about it since they are back online 10-30 seconds after the signal drop. I bring this up because I am concerned the old cable infrastructure in my area simply won't consistently handle current bandwidth demands in 2024. This would be a huge issue for me since there is no plan that I can find for bringing fiber-optic lines here. That project made it about 5 miles from my home on the HWY 4 corridor and just sort of stopped years ago.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

I'd definitely ask the tech to replace that line when he comes out Friday as well as any questions you have. As far as the signal booster causing the issue, I haven't heard that, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

7 Messages

2 months ago

- UPDATE -

The Xfinity Technician replaced the line from the street to my house and that solved my connectivity issue. It has been almost 4 days since the line was replaced at the time of me writing this and I haven't noticed a connection drop like outlined above in that time. I wanted to make sure to post an additional reply to this here since I have seen an issue like this several times but rarely have found solutions.

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

@user_SS1917

We want to thank you for reaching out on the Community Forum for support with your Internet Connectivity issue. We are glad we were able to resolve your issue with a line replacement. This update will be a big help to the community. Never hesitate to create another public post for any of your future account and service needs!

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

7 Messages

2 months ago

This issue is now back. Has been since a day or two after my final post 3 weeks ago. I am at a loss. I have tried a different brand modem/router (Arris Surfboard) for the past week and it is not helping at all. I would really like a way to talk with someone in the area and am dreading the multiple hour call or message chat running through all the "unplug your router and plug it back in" steps. I think there is a signal issue. My closest XFinity store is like 70 miles from my home so they aren't really "local". This is extremely frustrating and making me look unprofessional during my workday while be a constant, general annoyance after work hours.

Official Employee

• 

737 Messages

user_SS1917 Hello, are you still having service issues?

7 Messages

Yes, even after another technician visit, the issue persists. The tech put in a request for the connection at the pole to be replaced. I was able to find similar T3 timeout issues being resolved by this hardware replacement on the XFinity forums. The tech said he could see something like 400 T3 timeouts in the past week alone at my home. I am still working with my extremely slow cell phone hot spot as a bandaid until this can be fixed. Hopefully the connection at the pole is able to be replaced and will fix this.

This is the most relevant post with a solution that I was able to find: https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/multiple-t3-timeouts-a-day-internet-is-unusable-for-gaming-or-use-that-requires-consistent-connection/64aa072b6059bc2b7f1cc919

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Thank you, @user_SS1917 for that information. I do apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing, I know how frustrating it is to have connectivity issues. Was the technician able to provide you with an ETA for the connection to be replaced?-Richard

7 Messages

Only a rough estimate of 1-5 business days. He was having trouble reaching them while at my home. 

Official Employee

• 

2.1K Messages

We appreciate all of your helpful information so we can ensure we are on the same page. We will check on that work and let you know when it is completed, user_SS1917

Please send us a direct message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the direct messaging icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send your message

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here