D

Thursday, September 7th, 2023 2:49 PM

Closed

Internet Connection Dropping Several Times For Months

We have had Xfinity for a while now and believe it or not, they are the best ISP for our needs and our area. We both work from home and this is now starting to interfere with our work as it is happening very frequently and interrupting executive meetings that we each host for our roles. We've been poking through the forum and came across this recommended post for troubleshooting. It was very helpful! It has not solved our problem but it did give us an idea what info is needed to move forward with troubleshooting. We are armed with the information and want to make your job(s) as easy as possible. Below are the recommended things to check from that post and our follow up. Please, can someone assist?

Check if there is a service interruption

There has not been any service interruptions.

Recent changes in your service

Only change we had was swapping our personal equipment for yours in hopes the problem would be corrected (it wasn’t).

Verify equipment/operating system meet minimum system requirements

We do not think it’s equipment specific, happening on ALL devices at the same time, both hardwired and wireless.

Verify modem compatibility

Modem is compatible, picked up directly from agent at the Xfinity store.

Determine if your problem is router-based or modem/signal-based (not applicable to gateway devices)

N/A – have gateway device

Reset your equipment

Have tried this more times than a customer should.

Pay attention to the lights on the front of your modem.

Gateway is solid white light.

Check your signal levels

We don’t know what to do with any of the info below but these are our stats.

Downstream

Upstream

SNR

Upstream Receive Power

Check Codewords (Restarted Modem Last Night)

Check the event log

Inspect cabling, Check F-Connectors , Check the quality/status of all splitters

We took out all the splitters and connectors. We have a line straight from the pole into the house, into the Gateway.

Examine IP lease times

Verify your speed tier

Do you need this? We are not concerned about speed, we just want to stay connected.

Security Software

This is happening with all devices. Not a specific device with specific software.

Traceroutes and ping tests

Most recent 9/5 & 9/6 .txt files

Expert

• 

104.4K Messages

10 months ago

This may or may not be the root cause of the problem (YMMV) but it should be addressed regardless. The downstream power is too high and the upstream power is too low. For this one, it's probably best to get a tech out to properly balance the line.

(edited)

6 Messages

Thank you so much for your weigh in! Would you happen to know how to communicate this to tech support over the phone without going through the basic troubleshooting? I'm pretty sure if I call and just ask for a tech to come out, that's not going to happen. 

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Always happy to help a valued customer. Unfortunately, the only way to adjust signal levels would be via a tech onsite. From the information provided and reference in screenshots, the next step in the process would be to get a tech onsite. You can let us know here if you would want to move forward with that appointment. Our teams do move through traditional support steps with every customer. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

6 Messages

@XfinityThomasB​  Yes, I'd like to move forward and it would be much appreciated! 

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Great! Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

6 Messages

9 months ago

I just wanted to follow up on this post in case anyone was following. I was able to contact Thomas privately and at the time, no network issues were found. We gave it a couple days and it was fine. Then it started dropping again and we got a tech out here. He ran new line from the pole to the house and in the house. He also fixed the upsteam. It started dropping again that afternoon. Today it has dropped a few times. Lately, my neighbor and I have been texting when each of us goes out. It makes us feel better that we are not alone and crazy as our outages are at the same time. I think at this point, it's not specific with our houses, it's somewhere else within the network. However, to prove that is just about impossible, so tomorrow my neighbor has a consult with a competitor, and I asked for them to stop over at my house when finished. A neighbor down the road already has service with the competitor, also works from home, and never has issues. I can't afford to keep dropping from meetings and I can't justify paying what I do for service that inconveniences me at the most awful times. 

Official Employee

• 

752 Messages

Hello, @DrewCourt. Thank you for the follow up, and sorry to hear that you're still experiencing issues after the last service visit. I work from home myself, and completely understand the importance of having a stable network connection. I would definitely like to continue investigating, and want to help with a resolution. If you're still needing assistance please reply on the direct message you had sent previously of if need send a new direct message: 

To send a direct message: 

Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message" icon in the upper right - it looks like a chat bubble  

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon just to the right of Conversations

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line - do not use the Employee's name!

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

To expedite your request, we ask that you please include your name, the account holder name (if different), and the service address. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here