cdysthe's profile

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, August 2nd, 2022 3:54 PM

Closed

I want to test a new modem but possibly go back to the old one. Can I do that without problems?

I have a Netgear CM2000 modem there may be an issue with so I want to try with another modem. I got a new Motorola MB8611 modem I would like to try on my gigabit Xfinity connection. If I install the new modem, test if for a few hours and then want to go back to the old modem, will that be a problem? With my current Netgear modem I did not need to call or do anything just provision it with my computer. I assume it's the same with the Motorola modem. But after having provisioned the new modem will it be a problem to re-provision the old modem again? I do not want to end up without Internet for hours so I thought I would ask her first.

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

2 years ago

Technically, yes you can, but be aware of the potential problem you might encounter.  Your modem has an eMAC, a unique identifier that is used to activate and provision the modem.  If you add a new modem, your old modem will not be cleared from the xfinity controllers right away.  You will be able to activate the 'new' modem, but if you decide to go back to the old one, it may not activate until it has been cleared from the entire wide area system.  The old modem may continue to show up in your account until it is cleared; it can take two or three weeks for that to happen.  During that time frame, you may have problems activating it, even though is still shows in your account.  The auditing and tracking of that eMAC address might cause it to be identified as already activated when it isn't, or might show as being assigned to an account, which even though it is your account, can prevent it from activating.  On the other hand, it might all go smoothly.  There is no way of knowing until you try.  Is the 'new' modem a new one, and not used?  If it is used, it can sometimes be a nightmare getting it activated.  Many of the modems for sale on ebay, etc., are stolen modems, or modems that were submitted for return but still are assigned to an account somewhere.  If that is the case, xfinity will not be able to activate it. 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

2 years ago

Hi there! If oyu are using a new modem, we will need to add it to your account in order for it to operate correctly. We can get this done for you! Can you initiate a chat and start with your full name and address? To start a chat, you must be signed in. Please click the chat icon in the top right of the page next to the bell, and send your message to "Xfinity Support". Talk to you there!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here