U

Monday, August 21st, 2023 3:16 AM

Closed

I need to disable IPV6 for IPV4

I just got a litter robot. It is not connecting to the network. Taken directly from Litter Robot's website: "IPv6: The Litter-Robot is not compatible with IPv6. If you have a newer Xfinity router, it's most likely running IPv6. You will receive an error saying "invalid credentials". There should be settings within the router to allow you to switch to IPv4. This will allow the unit to connect."

How do I switch my Xfinity router from IPv6 to IPv4? Thank you!

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

11 months ago

It's more likely the product or reseller is suffering from bad engineering documentation or translation, and they were really trying to communicate a WiFi radio standard compatibility, but didn't understand how to do that or what the issue was.

There is no setting to disable IPV6 on Xfinity gateways.  

If you can find the standard the WiFi radio in the product uses (should be on the box somewhere, it will say something like 802.11b), and the issue is the radio in the product isn't compatible with WiFi 6, you can change WiFi standards the gateway is using the phone app. 

Xfinity gear is poorly documented too.  The idea is you enable a 2.4G and 5G broadcast sacrificing WiFi 6 throughput for radio chip set compatibility.  Others  say the local admin interface on the gateway no longer works, so you have to use the phone app to do it now.  This is it for documentation and it's really dated, unless someone has a better link or another post put together better documentation.  Xfinity refuses to do it:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi  

You can also just buy a 802.11 b/g/n N300 access point if you have older gear/IOT gear and it will work with most things out there.  They're cheap.  You might be able to get a 3rd party gateway, or an Ethernet router with multiple radios that can do all WiFi standards at the same time, but it will be  expensive.  There are better ways to do it.

Official Employee

• 

967 Messages

10 months ago

@user_c17f7e Thank you for reaching out on the Xfinity Forums. Our community member has provided some advice to you. Please let us know if you still need assistance. Please also feel free to check out How To Change Your Home Network's WiFi Channel Selection or Mode.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here