Anon282936's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Friday, September 15th, 2023 5:42 PM

Closed

HP Printer not Connecting to WIFI

I have a NEW HP Deskjet Printer that I cannot connect to my Xfinity home network.  The HP setup software states the printer will not connect to my network after many attempts. I've followed all the troubleshooting steps in the HP manual and online help forums with no success.  This printer is replacing another HP printer that has been of my Xfinity home network for several years, but suddenly started "freezing" when I attempted to restart or reboot it.  Have there been any changes recently to Xfinity home network settings that could be blocking these devices?  All other household wireless devices are working OK. 

A post on an HP help forum suggested that if the modem is a dual band modem, but both bands share the same network name/SSID HP printers will not connect.  I am using WPA2 security and one of the newer Xfinity (White Tower) modems.  I have two similar network names on my list of options.  One is the name I assigned initially for the network and the other is the same name, but with an extension of _EXT.  So, this may already address the naming problem  from the HP Forum post. The printer is sitting next to the wireless modem, so signal strength should not be an issue.

I have a ticket open with HP, but wanted to contact Xfinity because I have a feeling HP will refer me back to you anyway.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

1 year ago

Hi @Anon282936 We appreciate you visiting our Xfinity Community Forums for help with your new printer. Are you still having issues with the setup? Our newest wireless gateway would be the XB8 and it fits the description of what you currently have. These actually are a tri-band meaning they have the 2.4GHz, the 5GHz, and the 6GHz all in one when you have the same name and password for all your device should choose the best one to connect to. You can read more about it here.

Connecting a wireless printer to WiFi lets you print from any computer, phone, or tablet that's on your home network.

1. Go to the printer's control panel.
  2. Choose the Setup option. It usually has a picture of a wrench.
  3. Select the Network menu.
  4. Select your WiFi network name (your printer may call this an "SSID").
    • Printers often have a Wireless Setup Wizard that walks you through setting up the WiFi connection.
    • If you don't see your wireless network, scroll to the bottom of the list and type your network name and password.
    • If it doesn't connect, try printing a wireless network test report.

Note: Check your printer's user guide for any special troubleshooting steps, security settings and detailed instructions.

Please let me know if this helps. 

1 Message

11 months ago

My HP Laser Jet Pro CM 1410 Series PCL 6 will no longer print wirelessly after installing the latest Xfinity router. I have run through the wireless setup on the printer as I have each time I had a new router.  Additionally, I split up the router to 2.4, 5, and 6GHz, and that didn't help either.  I have a feeling that is a problem with the new Xfinity routers.  The printer works fine if I attach it directly to the router.

Official Employee

• 

331 Messages

@user_7ynaia Sorry to hear you're having issues with your printer. I'd be more than happy to help, please send a direct message with your full name and address to get started.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send your message

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

11 months ago

If you read your HP printer's manual, you will find you can use a direct Wi-Fi connection. It avoids the need for Internet.  

Contributor

• 

199 Messages

11 months ago

Are you trying to use WPS aka "push button" pairing?  If so try the "corporate" method to connect it.

Business grade WiFi gear generally does not support push button pairing because it is a security risk.  WPS/push button pairing depends on physical security to keep the network secure.  That's usually ok for a home network where someone getting to your router and pushing the button means they already broke into your house, but its an absolute no-go in businesses that are open to the public and have WiFi access points in places where the general public can get to them.  Same for offices of larger corporations.  

At any rate stuff like printers almost always have a back-up pairing method because the manufacturers know they might be used in a business environment and WPS may not be availale.  Fancier ones can be configured manually using an built-in display, but the usual "corporate" method is plug the printer into a computer with a USB cable and run some app provided by the printer manufacturer.  I have an HP printer that works that way.  Download app, plug in with USB, set up, WiFi works after that.  Said printer also supports WPS, but I use business class WiFi access points and home and they don't.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@zandor60657​ 

I have the same issue, but the HP connection says the printer (C4795) is connected to the gateway, but there is no data on the connection.   Somehow the XB7-T modem is blocking printer communications from legacy printers

1 Message

10 months ago

I had the same problem for months with my HP laserjet.  HP sent me a new printer to try to resolve the problem.  That didn't work.  I ended up setting the IP address for the HP printer to manual and assigned it an IP address within my router's range.  That worked briefly.  UGH  aggrivation of course.  a week later I went into the XFINITY router settings and noticed that while I had changed the IP address to manual on the printer, the router still showed it as DHCP.  I went in and changed the router setting to "Reserved IP"  using the same IP that I put on the printer.  so far so good.  

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here