Curmudgeon101's profile

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

Thursday, December 24th, 2020 10:00 AM

Closed

How to Test Gateway Speed with Gateway in Bridge Mode

I'm pretty sure the path to testing one's download speed at the Gateway lies through the Xfinity App, but that app doesn't do anything with a Gateway in Bridge Mode.  I know in the Gateway admin there is simple button to enable or disable bridge mode, but when I installed this thing originally, I recall having to talk to a human and it took some time working with him to get the thing into bridge mode.  Just finding a human that knew what the issue was took more than a day, so I'm reluctant to disable Bridge Mode just to run a speed test.

Is there anyway to speed test the box in bridge mode??

Expert

• 

104.3K Messages

4 years ago

Why not just do a speed test here ?;

https://speedtest.xfinity.com/

Contributor

• 

387 Messages

4 years ago

I am curious of the difference of having the Comcast gateway in bridge mode or not. By default mine is on bridge mode and everything works. Any link to this. Just an education question. Thanks.  @Curmudgeon101  the comcast speed test works for me in bridge mode as @EG  posted. I use it under the support link on my account page under internet. 

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

4 years ago

That test measures the speed at the device.  In my case, that's a PC connected via WiFi.  I'm interested in the speed being delivered by Comcast at the gateway vs. what I am paying for.

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

4 years ago

The Xfi app tells me it provides nothing because the gateway is in bridge mode.  I can still turn the hotspot on/off through web management. 

Expert

• 

104.3K Messages

4 years ago

Connect a computer directly to the gateway (no WiFi in the mix) and use that test. Close enough.

Contributor

• 

387 Messages

4 years ago

@Curmudgeon101 wrote:

The Xfi app tells me it provides nothing because the gateway is in bridge mode.  I can still turn the hotspot on/off through web management. 

In the XFinity app you can test speed to the gateway. Select Connect then Internet heath then test speed to gateway. I am on bridge mode and it works. It is separate from device speed. I get around 1010-1020 Mbps. Wifi connected devices are much less. 

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

4 years ago

In Bridge Mode, are not the Gateway's LAN ports dead?

Expert

• 

104.3K Messages

4 years ago

You wrote: "In Bridge Mode, are not the Gateway's LAN ports dead?"

No. In bridge mode, port number one is active...

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

4 years ago

I am looking at the Xfinity App on my iPhyone  Here's what the screen says:

"Your Gateway is in Bridge Mode"  "To access Xfinity, you will need to disable bridge mode."

Below there are two buttons.  One says "Learn How."  The other says "Sign out."

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

4 years ago

I could have measured the speed at that port had I a device with an ethernet port, which I don't. But I did find a utility in my router firmware that measures download speed as it perceives it from the modem, which has given me the information I needed.

Still don't understand why people maintain the Xfinity App works with all functions on a bridged modem, as my attempts to use the app resulted in what I reported earlier.

Contributor

• 

387 Messages

4 years ago

@Curmudgeon101  Are you using the actual "Xfinity" app, not the Xfinity Connect app. Then select connect at the bottom. Then Internet heath comes up. Select that and it has the "Test speed to gateway". There are a bunch of different Xfinity apps that do different things. Connect, My account, Mobile ect. 

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

3 years ago

Which of the various apps should I be using?  The screen I described is in the "Xfinity" app (icon: house with wifi signal).  It is not the Stream, the My Account, Mobile, Hotspots, TV Remore, Home, or Connect.  Since you mentioned Connect, I downloaded it, but it hung up on "getting started," something to do with Voice2Go Activation.  There's a screen that says "Unable to process your request. Please try again [500}. "  Great feature: there is no way to "try again" other than deleting the app and starting over.

Contributor

• 

387 Messages

3 years ago

Yes the Xfinity app with the house symbol. Open that then at the very bottom select the connect icon. It is the second from the left. 

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

3 years ago

I'm not sure how many different ways I need to say this, but when I open that app,  I am presented with a screen that says "Your Gateway is in Bridge Mode"  beneath that, "To access Xfinity, you will need to disable bridge mode."  Below that are two buttons (no others): "Learn How," and "Sign Out."  There is nothing else on the screen; nothing on the bottom, left, right or top.

The entire purpose of the thread was to learn whether I could measure the download speed at the Gateway when it was in Bridge mode.

I appreciate the help, but I've learned what I wanted to know by measuring the download speed at the router as received through the Gateway.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

3 years ago

Hi, @Curmudgeon101, I hope your day is going well. If we are working on an Xfinity leased modem try logging into the modem directly. On a device that's online and connected to your network type 10.0.0.1 into your URL and login with your username and password. If your login settings have not been changed use the default settings on the bottom of the modem. This link might help out! (https://comca.st/2L91ngY) The default settings are username: admin, password: password. If this does not work try turning off or bypassing any third-party equipment and make sure you are connected to your home network broadcasted by the leased modem. Once you are logged in you can easily disable and enable bridge mode from the "Gateway" section. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here