P

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, January 31st, 2024 9:26 PM

Closed

How often do you have to restart your Xfinity Gateway?

Lately I've noticed that my wifi speeds will completely bottom out, even though the Gateway is connected and the speed to the gateway is delivery more than 100% of the speed of my package.  When this happens, it's on more than just one of my devices and it seems to happen weekly, but sometimes more frequently.   I had this issue today and had just restarted by Gateway 2 days ago. Restarting the gateway always resolves the issue and the speeds go back to a much more reasonable and expected range, but personally, I think that the portion of the hardware that delivers the wifi is faulty, or the software running on the gateway is buggy.  

I think it's ridiculous to expect an Xfinity wifi customer using the Xfinity gateway to have to restart/reboot the gateway on a weekly (sometimes less) basis.  If I'm told that that is just the way it is and that the Xfinity Gateway hardware and/or software just [Edited: "Language"] because we don't care, then at least give users a way to schedule a daily restart of the gateway.  I could schedule a daily restart at a time when no one is using the gateway, but it appears that you don't provide the capability to schedule a regular restart of your equipment.

Is anyone else experiencing issues like this?  How have you gotten around this issue other than manually restarting the gateway?

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

8 months ago

I never have to restart mine, usually i have a brief power outage in my neighborhood every 6 months or so, that seems to keep my network on track…

Official Employee

• 

867 Messages

8 months ago

@Phizbam1 My team can help you with your modem issues today. Have you tried any troubleshooting from our Xfinity app? 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityShawn​ Troubleshooting never detects any problems, but my upload and download speeds will get horrible.  Sometimes, I am even unable to get to a web page.  As soon as I restart the gateway, things work fine.

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Wow.  I see how that can be a cause for concern @Phizbam1.  Can you tell me if this is an Xfinity-leased device or do you own your own gateway?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

It is an Xfinity-leased device.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@Phizbam1 Thank you for your reply. Can you please send us a Direct Message with your full name and address? We'll need to take a closer look at the signal we are sending you. Here are instructions on how to send us a DM in case you need them:

Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message" icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send your message

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

8 months ago

@Phizbam1 @XfinityBenjaminM 

Please circle back here and post any possible solutions for the issue here in these open forums so that all readers here may benefit from the exchange / info. This is in keeping with the spirit for which these public help forums were originally intended. Thank you.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

5 months ago

I have the same problem with all-Xfinity equipment, no aftermarket items in the network. Rebooting works, IF the gateway accepts the command through the phone app. Otherwise, physical unplugging and reconnecting the power does the task. This occurs very frequently, often several times a day, then goes away for days or weeks at a time. 

Official Employee

• 

2.1K Messages

Hello, pmdta76! I apologize that your service has been slowing down and that it takes a restart each time to get things back to where they should be. We are happy to help so that stops happening. We don't want you to have to repeat things you have tired before. Have you tried any other troubleshooting steps aside from resetting the modem such as checking the coax cable or checking splitters (if there are any)? If you have any other services with us, are they also having problems? 

1 Message

3 months ago

I have to restart my modem almost on a daily basis to keep my speeds at Max. And like it states here it always resolves the issue and my speeds go back to normal

Expert

• 

106K Messages

3 months ago

@user_fn1zto 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks. The original poster has not returned. 5-month-old dead thread is now being closed.

For future reference, it is better to submit your own post as it creates a ticket to get help, and posting on someone else's older thread can delay getting help.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here