Old_Salt's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, December 19th, 2020 5:00 PM

Closed

How can I force an IP address change?

Recently I've been having problems going to different websites and getting "Access Denied. You do not have permission to access..." otherwise known as Error 405.

I'm using an Arris T45 gateway and a TP-Link router. Both have been rebooted many times but I still have the same IP address. I've powered both down and waited 5 minutes then brought them back. 

This issue only affects different websites and in order to even access this one, I have to do so using a VPN. Otherwise, I cannot log in on Xfinity.com, my bank, and dozens of other websites.

My research indicates this problem has to do with the servers hosting the websites blocking certain IP addresses due to either security protocols or some misconfigurarion.

I had this problem before and replaced an Arris gateway with the equipment I have now. Even then, I had to borrow another router and spent 2 days switching routers until I got an IP address that worked. There must be an easier and less costly way to correct this issue.

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

104.4K Messages

4 years ago

If the TP Link router has a MAC address cloning feature, you can clone a different MAC address in to it. This will force their DHCP server to assign a new / different public IP address to your connection

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks. The router is a tp-link AC1750 and I think there is way to clone the MAC address. I'm not an expert in these things, but getting pointed in the right direction, I can figure it out.  Will post again on results.

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

I was able to clone the MAC address of the computer to my router. while I was at it, I changed the DNS settings as well. Everything works as it did before. Thanks for the help.

Expert

• 

104.4K Messages

4 years ago

Glad you got it sorted out ! Happy surfing ! Closing this topic.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here