jhg6308's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

15 Messages

Monday, November 20th, 2023 12:23 AM

Closed

Hitron CODA56 experiences?

After 3 frustrating days trying to get an Arris S33 modem (the Comcast-recommended model) to work I've had to give up and return it, going back to the Comcast modem.

With the Comcast modem I was getting 910/240, but with the Arris I only got 720/5 (yes, only 5 Mbps upload).  They even sent a tech out to check signal levels and everything was fine.

So now I'm looking at the Hitron CODA56 (also on the Comcast-recommended list) and am curious if anybody has experience with this modem and is getting the advertised speeds.

5 Messages

8 months ago

I just installed the Hitron CODA56 at my home and it works very well with the service I have. I do  not have mid splits in my area yet and I am on the highest plan available 1200/35 plan. I get 1400/42 speeds and 12ms latency consistently and have seen no issues with the CODA56 so far. I got it to be ready for the mid split upgrade as it's on the approved list. I have been told the new higher speeds will be available here "soon".  I would recomend it and it's on black friday sale at Amazon now.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

yes definitely interested as i'm looking at this as well for cyber monday deals. 

5 Messages

8 months ago

If you get it let me know how it works on the new higher upstream speeds. Good Luck!

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

yes, does it work up to 200 Mbps up?

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

@petersk - The CODA56 device is listed on our compatible devices list for our next-generation market, and will work up to 455 Mbps wired upload speed

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hi there! Thanks for your detailed message, sorry to learn of your experience since buying your new modem. Based on what you mentioned I would suggest reviewing the service plan in detail. Gigabit equivalent speed tiers have been available before the next-gen rollout, and having an older or "legacy" plan would also cause a hiccup in acquiring the higher speeds. How long has it been since you had that same service plan? 

Customers will not receive faster upload speeds if they:

- Do not reside in an Enhanced Speed market
- Have Internet Essentials/Internet Essentials Plus or Prepaid Internet
- Customer-owned and managed (COAM) modems that are not the approved list at this time
- Have an XB2 or XB3 Xfinity Gateway
- Are on a Legacy speed tier (examples include Blast! Pro+, Performance Select, etc…)

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

1 Message

I purchased this modem and went I went to install Xfinty said it was not approved. I don't understand. I bought it because it was supposed to be compatible.

Official Employee

• 

587 Messages

Hey there, @user_52mnn0! I am sorry to hear about the experience. What modem did you buy? 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

7 months ago

I have the Gig 1000Mbps DL/100Mps UL plan. I previously had the Motorola MB8611 which was rock solid and had great DL speeds but my UL speeds seemed to be capped at 24Mbps. It turns out Xfinity ONLY provides the higher speeds to their own gateways or a limited list on the "Next Gen" tier. I took my chances with the CODA56 (on the list) and Immediately went to 124Mbps Upload. I was able to activate using the Xfinity app in under 15 minutes. I wish the ARRIS S33 was on the "Next Gen" list since it gets good reviews and has a 2 year warranty. The CODA56 only gets a 180 day warranty, so a little worried. The cost is reasonable at about $140 at Amazon. I am in the Portland area where the faster speeds are available. They charge $15/mo rental here, so it will pay for itself in a little over 9 months.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

7 months ago

Read the more unhappy/negative reviews on Amazon just so you are aware of what is happening to folks like myself.  My first CODA56's  connection started acting up about six weeks after installation.  It's not on the ISP side, others have said it is an ethernet connection issue on the LAN port of the modem.  You have to reboot it or sometimes the Internet just flickers and comes back.  Anyhow, I'm returning my original one to Amazon and trying again.  I do love the enhanced 1200/200 speeds that I'm getting.  However, not sure if this enhanced-speed modem is ready for primetime.  Seems a basic issue to have for a basic network device.  I've bought an Arris S33 as a backup.  

15 Messages

7 months ago

i have the hitron coda56 and just installed it yesterday. direct connect to it from my desktop pc and using a 2.5gb port ethernet port on pc, i am getting close to my contractual speeds of 1200/200. i did see some negative comments like user_7f78ff shared above on the coda56. but i took a chance anyway. I may have to get a new router too that has a 2.5gb port in it because using my trusty orbi rbr50, i'm capped hardwired ethernet to download speeds like 920-960 mpbs. but my upload is much better now close or past 4x the previous speeds (40mpbs only). 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I too just got the Coda56, I've been using an MB8600 for a couple years and it seemed to be working pretty well, I pay for 1200/200 and was seeing 600/40 on a daily basis. The "40" was driving me nuts and I got an email from Comcast suggesting I upgrade the hardware to improve the upload speed, something on a short list that included the Coda56, so I decided to give it a go. Immediate speedtest results were 900/240, fantastic! But then, a day later, it's 950/80, and a very consistent 80 that looks like something is capping it. 

At the same time I noticed the 80, I got an email that a tech needed to come look at my line - they came out today, detached and reconnected the cables, rebooted things, declared that the "ingress issue" was solved and left... they were very nice, but I'm still getting 950/80. :-) It's 2x the upload speed I had before, but where'd the 240 go?

15 Messages

@markdeloura  are you hardwired ethernet straight to the modem? i was originally and i was getting very fast speed. santa didn't bring me a new router with a 2.5gb port so i'll have to keep an eye on sales so i can get > 1tgb. you might be capped by your router with 1gb ports only.

only 1 machine of ours - my personal desktop - can take advantage of > 1tb since my motherboard has a 2.5gb port too. . i can't remember what wifi level i need to be to get higher than 1gb on wireless (have to look at all the 802.xx stuff). but probably mine and the soon kid's gaming pc will be the only ones capable of getting that speed though kid's will be wifi connection w/o ethernet ports in his room. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

6 months ago

I just (15 minutes ago) provisioned a Hitron Coda (not Coda56) using the Xfinity app on my phone and it went smoothly, took about 10 minutes.  My plan is 800/100 and I'm getting about 950 download but I'm still capped at 25 upload.  Previously using an Arris docsis3.0 which is 686/100 capable but was capped at about 550/25.  On the bright side, I've always gotten more download speed than I was paying for but now I've got to get on a chat or call to get my upload uncapped.  That's the whole reason I upgraded from a 400/5 plan to 800/100 and bought the Coda, for cloud backups with a much faster upload speed.  25 is still a lot faster than 5, but I was already getting that with the Arris.  Too early to say if the Coda is stable over the long term, but the first 15 minutes have been good :)

Update: I stand (sit) corrected.  About 20 minutes after initial activation, my modem power cycled itself (at first making me get ready to return it) and when it came back on, upload speeds are as high as 85Mbps which I consider to be close enough to 100Mbps since this is the real world after all.  So, thumbs up for the first half hour on the new modem.

(edited)

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

6 months ago

Has anyone been able to figure out how to log in to the Hitron admin interface?  I haven't tried connecting directly with a hardcoded IP address of 192.168.0 or 1.whatever since with my old Arris (192.168.100.1) I could log into that while connected to my router which uses a different (10.x.x.x) range without needing to set anything special on my network adapter.  Unfortunately my router doesn't show anything about the cable modem IP address, it just shows the Xfinity addresses so I can't tell what the modem is using.

4 Messages

Try to disconnect the cable from the modem and reboot it. Reboot your router at the same time. I don't have a CODA, but with modem that are working as a bridge like here, this was the only way to access its admin page. Not sure if this will help you. Some provided the info about the IP and how you need to setup your adapter. A few things to try.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

286 Messages

@brad_In_denver​ 

The Coda56 actively blocks any connection requests that don’t come from an ip address in the 192.168.100.x address space. There are ways to trick it by adding a second virtual interface to your router (Asus works), but it’s beyond the scope of posting here.

See https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33757940-Hitron-CODA56-status-page-access

The diagnostic page of the modem is garbage though.  It has logs, but they aren’t visible on the UI page. The signals it reports make little sense either. 

Expert

• 

104.6K Messages

6 months ago

@brad_In_denver 

You may not be able to. They may have disabled access to the user interface in the firmware. Seen some posts here and at other help forums about this. There were no answers or solutions. YMMV. Good luck !

(edited)

5 Messages

6 months ago

I can see mine the ip is 192.168.100.1 the trick though is you must have an interface on that subnet or the modem will not respond.

15 Messages

@user_kcu8gv​  will setting the router starting IP to be 192.168.100.1 allow me to see it? i have mine at default 192.168.1.1 though i have the static dhcp to be in the x.x.x.100 range. 

(edited)

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

@user_kcu8gv​ Thanks, I was hoping to avoid that since I'm lazy but I'll give it a try hardcoding an IP on my laptop.  I hate doing that because in the past, I have had problems with reacquiring an address from the comcast servers when I switch back & forth between my laptop and router being connected to the cable modem.  But I'm sure it will be fine...

Expert

• 

104.6K Messages

6 months ago

@user_kcu8gv 

Thanks for sharing that info. Happy New Year !

1 Message

6 months ago

Why don't they show the cost of these new devices ANYWHERE?  SCAM

15 Messages

@user_dtuno3​ i just checked amazon as a starting point. then go to ebay, best buy, wherever reputable to see how things compare since being in amazon doesn't always mean it's the cheapest price. Far from it at times. 

hope you're sitting down when you see the price for the ARRIS SURFboard G54

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

i kept my old arris 6183 which works perfectly fine except that comcast caps it at 25Mbps upload for no good reason.  That's still 5x faster than with my old plan so uploading backups to cloud storage still works a lot better.  I'm not going to pay $500 plus for a new cable modem without a better reason.  The Coda (not 56) was $80 on sale, that I was willing to pay.

5 Messages

6 months ago

I finally got the new boot/bin file sent to my CODA56 and I have no issues it's working perfectly ...I get over 1500 down and 100 up. No dropouts or issues at all. Not sure what others are saying about this modem but mine works. 

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

It works initially and then weeks or months later, the modem will start dropping connection to your LAN.  Give it time...has happened on two of these CODA56 modems.  Went back to the Arris S33.

@user_7f78ff​ Have you researched / found anything as well performing as the CODA56 but more reliable? They originally saddled me with this frickn' xb7 modem/router but I'm ditching this thing since I already have a phenomenal router and want to invest in a solid modem. I don't feel like paying $140+ for something that is going to have performance issues after a few months.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@user_kcu8gv​ Hi, how did you get the new boot/bin file sent to the modem? Just set mine up and getting great download but upload is capped at 5mbps (should be 100 or close to it on my plan). Xfinity support said i need to contact the manufacturer, but wondering if there was another way?

Thanks in advance

Contributor

• 

286 Messages

@user_7f78ff​ 

Mine started dropping WAN connections, not the LAN.  Xfintiy would say the modem was offline, but all lights were still solid and I could ping the modem from the LAN.

Official Employee

• 

587 Messages

@Morac2 Hello, I am happy to be of assistance. Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions. 

6 Messages

5 months ago

Similar frustration- I bought a Hitron coda 56 modem due to xfinity email recommending cable modem upgrade with promise of faster upload speeds with same plan.  (I had a Motorola mb8611 modem docsis3.1).  At best this xfinity email was inaccurate at worst a blatant lie. No change in upload speed!  (I had 400 download/10 upload).  Spent hours on xfinity chat and no one was aware of this email in India.  One xfinity representative suggested it was fake and majority said I should rent equipment to get faster upload speeds; another said I needed a new plan.  .Only in actually emailing Hitron customer support (yes, you can actually email them!), did I find out my Motorola mb8611  with docsis 3.1 is not inferior to xfinity recommended modems hence no change in upload speeds.  So I returned the Hitron to Amazon, frustrated by the waste of time but at least not poorer.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

@user_zqz452​ Faster upload speeds are only for Gigabit Extra and Gigabit X2 plans. Do you have one of these plans?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/comments/17gwl0d/gigabit_internet_upload_speed_increases_in/

Official Employee

• 

587 Messages

@user_7f78ff​ Thank you so much for sharing those details regarding the faster Uploads, and sharing the link for us! Have a wonderful rest of your day! 

6 Messages

@user_7f78ff​ Sadly it all depends not on your plan but on whether or not you are in the upgraded "10G" zone.    I found out after several hours of chat and direct messages, that I am not.   How one finds this out?   You have to direct message someone at Xfinity on this forum.  No one else seems capable.  Nor can they tell you when or if this will occur.  

Expert

• 

104.6K Messages

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Contributor

• 

286 Messages

5 months ago

I bought a Coda56 in November 2023 to replace my Arris S3 so I could get faster upload speeds.  It worked fine, but the Cods56 reported more errors than my S33.  

Since Jan 7, 2024 though Coda56 has basically crashed 3 times requiring a manual reset to get back online. From all outward appearances the modem looks locked as the lights are all solid, but there is no WAN traffic and the Xfinity app says it’s offline.  This has been happening more frequently as the first time was Jan 7, the second time was Feb 2 and it crashed again on Feb 8.   The last time I let it sit 10 minutes and it wouldn’t recover.

In addition it seems to have issues with power levels as I somewhat regularly see “RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power in Excess of 6 dB Below the Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW” and 
“REG-RSP-MP Mismatch Between Calculated Value for P1.6hi Compared to CCAP Provided Value” in the logs.

I had a tech out and he said my signals were great, so the problem must be with the Coda56.

I ended up going back to the S33 as reliability is more important to me than upload speed.  I will miss the 100 mbps up as the S33 only gets 20 up.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Sorry hear about the issues. I'm using the CODA56 and was curious about how you viewed the logs. I did it by directly connecting to my computer when I need to, but then I lose internet through the router. Did you get it to work while connected to your wifi router?

4 Messages

4 months ago

So I just bought the CODA56 and I have a  wired router to connect to the modem.  My current network uses 192.168.1.x for the IP addresses.  Does this mean that I cannot use this IP range anymore, and will have to change my routers IP assignments to 192.168.100.x?  This will require a lot of effort re-configuring up all my smart devices and wireless gateways!

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hello tuckerskahuna, we're limited in the troubleshooting support we can provide for 3rd party equipment, but we'll do all we can. Were you able to activate your new modem or connect to your network name? 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@tuckerskahuna​ No need to change your router IP range. The modem just passes the signal to the router and the router does all the heavy lifting. The modem IP is just there for you to address the Modem directly to get some modem information (limited). 

4 Messages

@XfinityMarcos​ 

I did get the modem working tonight, and got my router connected with my regular IP DHCP so everything came up.  It took a few tries and reboots for the modem to be happy with the router but it took.  

Is there a way to connect to the modem's administration page?

I got this new modem to replace my very good Netgear C7800 modem/router. But the Netgear is not approved for the new upload speeds.  This Coda56 is!  But I am getting the same download and upload speeds as before.   I received an email this week about the new speeds.  I need more upload speed as we have two remote workers in our home who use video a lot.

What can I do to get the best upload speed?

I have the Extreme Pro+ Plan  1Gig down and 20mb up with the unlimited on top.  I get 900 down and 22mb up with both the old and new modem. 

I ran the troubleshooter again tonight with the new modem and it says everything is fine.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Greetings again, @tuckerskahuna! Thank you for following up about this. If your neighborhood just received the mid-split upgrade, there will be a specific series of communication events and requirements that need to take place before the next gen upload speeds become available.

The first and most important event is the mid-split upgrade itself. You will usually receive advance notification this is happening about two weeks prior to the upgrade. That initial email will mention the "mid-split upgrade" by name, and will usually cover all the necessary details and requirements for the increased upload speeds. It should also provide an estimated timeline for the upgrade process.

On order for you to receive the increased upload speeds after the mid-split upgrade, you will need to have an Advanced xFi Gateway (XB6, XB7, or XB8) or compatible third-party modem like the Coda56. You should be fine there. In addition to having a compatible modem, you will also need to have a current internet speed tier, like Connect, Connect More, Fast, Superfast, Gigabit, or Gigabit Extra. If you are still subscribed to Extreme Pro, which is a legacy speed tier, you may need to upgrade that before you can receive the increased upload speeds.

Once the mid-split upgrade has been implemented, everyone in your neighborhood will receive an in-home assessment test (iHAT) to validate the new upstream bandwidth to your home. These usually take about a week to complete. Once your home has received the iHAT, you will either receive an email saying the assessment passed, and the increased upload speeds are now available, or you will receive an email saying the assessment did not pass, and you will be able to schedule a free technician visit to address any issues.

The email you listed in your post was a little different from the mid-split notifications or iHAT results emails I've seen. That one may have been referencing a different speed increase that was recently announced on our website here: https://corporate.comcast.com/press/releases/comcast-boosts-speeds-xfinity-internet-customers

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here