G

Wednesday, February 21st, 2024 5:01 AM

High Ping/Dropped Connection

I've been experiencing extremely slow speeds or outright connection failures during the evening for the past month or so.

This shouldn't be happening, especially as my monthly payment was recently increased. I'd like an explanation.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

5 months ago

@GrizzlyNick Good morning! Thank you for reaching out to our Community Forums Team for assistance with your internet speed and connection. It can be frustrating when your services aren't working as designed. I would be happy to assist you in identifying the issue today. To begin, can you please share any troubleshooting steps you have already tried, and what kind of lag you are experiencing? 

5 Messages

Hi Kassie.

I've tried both manual and controlled reboots of my router via the Xfinity mobile app when my connection slows down (usually in the evenings). My speeds slow down to as slow as 20Mbps when my current package is for 400Mbps.

Even during normal uptime, I've noticed my speeds rarely ever break 300Mbps.

Official Employee

• 

744 Messages

Thank you for going into more detail on this @GrizzlyNick. We're here to help make sure your connection is working exactly as you need! When you run these speeds tests, is that over WiFi or with a direct ethernet connection? Our experts on this platform have put together a really helpful guide on Tips for troubleshooting your Xfinity Internet connection, do any of the steps there help improve your connection?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

5 Messages

@XfinityKatie​ I've tested with both a wireless and wired ethernet connection.

I have had my modem (Arris TG1682G) since I first got service with Xfinity in 2019, but I don't know if it's recommended for me to get a newer one.

Official Employee

• 

615 Messages

@GrizzlyNick  Is the equipment connected to a splitter?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

5 Messages

@XfinityVictor​ It is not, it's a direct coaxial connection.

New Poster

• 

15 Messages

5 months ago

High latency (if I get 15ms it's a miracle) is a common problem with cable Internet.  When I had fiber, a 3ms ping was typical.  Latency is what makes a connection "seem" fast or not fast.  My 800 Mbps seems slower than my old 100 Mbps with 3ms ping.  Slow upload is a problem too with cable Internet, especially with online meetings.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here