E

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Friday, June 11th, 2021 7:34 PM

Closed

help

Is it possible to run a second modem to a separate office built in the backyard?  The wifi does not work well so far from the house.  Would this work?  I need to solve for poor wifi connection in the office.  

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

This post was created from this reply on different post

Official Employee

• 

933 Messages

3 years ago

Hi there @ejoffner47, thank you for reaching out.  I know how important it is to extend the WiFi coverage to your office. You’ve reached the right place, I’d be happy to see if a second modem is your best opinion for this request. I’d like to ask, have you considered using WIFI extenders by chance? 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@XfinityMichaelB

I have the exact same issue, separate building, it's an aluminum shed, which from all my research is why the signal is so bad. I've tried wifi range extenders, and currently the best option has been a powerline adapter, but I still struggle to get 10% of my maximum speeds.

The corner of the house that is adjacent to the office is where the coax is run into the building, so running the line maybe 5-10 feet feels like it would be an easier do vs. running a direct burial ethernet cable from the existing modem which is on the far end of the house.

My other question would be does a second modem come with a second monthly cost?

Expert

• 

106K Messages

If you already have, or can get coax into the shed, look in to MoCA adapters as a solution. Much much better than powerline ethernet adapters !! You can Google MoCA for more info.

As for your other question. Even if it were allowed, a second modem would indeed be another account charge.

(edited)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Expert

• 

106K Messages

3 years ago

AFAIK. One modem per address.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here