user_gg1282's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

14 Messages

Saturday, August 10th, 2024 2:03 PM

Google/Nest speakers won't connect

I am trying to connect a Google home mini speaker, and a Nest Audio smart speaker to my XB8 gateway.  Both devices get to the last step of the setup, and to paraphrase the error, the setup was successful, but the devices are unable to connect to the specified wifi.  The prescribed fix is to disable guest mode on the router and enable plug and play.  Plug and play is already enabled, and from everything I read, disabling guest mode equates to turning off the xfinitywifi ssid, which is enabled on my gateway.  However, the two published methods for disabling the public ssid (via the wifi advanced settings on the Xfinity app or through the account internet setting on the website) fail.  Both indicate that the page does not exist.

This is a two-part question:

1) Why will these speakers not connect to the XB8 gateway.  These were moved from a previous network that had an older Comcast gateway, where we had no problem connecting them.  And yes, I factory-reset both devices prior to setting them up.

2) Why can't I disable the xfinitywifi ssid using the two prescribed methods.  Why does it appear that these options have been removed from the app and website?  I also tried to find an option by logging onto the gateway directly, but can't find it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 month ago

This has been happening to me since I got my Xfinity setup. It is super annoying and now it is happening to my eReader.

Definitely following for an answer.

Official Employee

• 

956 Messages

Hello user.name.44433. Please connect with Google on how to connect your devices.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Regular Visitor

• 

14 Messages

The Google error message is essentially telling us what we need to do to connect the devices.  It's just that I can't follow their suggestions because the prescribed method doesn't work.  (see my reply below)

Official Employee

• 

921 Messages

1 month ago

Hi there, @user_gg1282! Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Community Forum. For your questions, they should certainly connect. With the app, have you recently updated it or tried to uninstall and reinstall it?

Regular Visitor

• 

14 Messages

@XfinityFrank​ Per your suggestion, I force-stopped the app, cleared cache/storage and did an uninstall/reinstall with the same result.  Whenever I try to use the app to manage the xfinitywifi SSID (WiFi equipment/Advanced settings/Xfinity Wifi hotspot network), I get the error you see below in the attached screenshot.  I don't believe this page actually exists, which seems to be confirmed by the fact that I can't manage it using the prescribed website method either.  I have no way to know if this will actually fix the problem, but I've read posts on other forums about this same issue, including Google forums, and the for Xfinity gateways, the suggestion is to disble the public SSID.

(edited)

Regular Visitor

• 

14 Messages

1 month ago

I was finally able to connect the devices to wifi.  I had to disable the cellular data so that the phone was only on wifi.  Once I did that, the installation was a success.  Would still be great to know why the two documented methods for disabling the xfinitywifi SSID don't work as I would like to be able to shut off that network.

Thanks!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here