somegeek's profile

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

Monday, March 9th, 2020 7:00 PM

Closed

Gigabit service running at 600Mbps... Multiple calls (details)

3/13/19 - TL;DR - This morning at 600. I used the xFi App to issue a restart to my modem and I'm back at 950. Hope Tier 3 folks can find out why my connection package is being set to a lower speed. Curious how long this will stay at 950 as well.

3/12/20 - TL;DR - xfinity was autoprovisioning my modem for the 400Mbps tier even though my account has reflected the 1000Mbps teir for over a week.  This has been escalated to tier 3 support.  Today's Post 

I ordered 1000Mbps service... the modem showed up, I installed it, activated it, changed to bridge mode... I was only getting 600Mbps via https://speedtest.xfinity.com/.

I have a newly built gaming PC hardwired to my router -> modem.  No issues transfering at 1gig between my machines on my LAN.  My speedtests to xfinity have been up to 950 at times but not solid... story follows...

Ticket #1 - I called in, was on for probably and hour going through the dialogue/troubleshooting... eventually after all the stuff we tried, the tech pushed an 'advanced config' to my modem and after a restart I was at 950Mbps.

Ticket #2 - few days later - same issue - stuck at 600Mbps - call in - 30 minutes of dialogue and was then assured the tech will fix all issues. They told me that my gigabit service was not yet activated... even though they shipped me a modem, I activated it and was at 950Mbps prior. They told me that 30 minutes later, I should be good after they were going to make some changes. I was not good later on... still at 600Mbps.

Ticket #3 - I called in again and explained everything that's happened so far, they ran a few tests... at that time they scheduled a dispatch.

Tech visit - He proved out all coax from my modem location to the curb. All levels good, running clean.  He even put on a pad to fine tune to get me closer to the middle of the acceptable range. He put his xfinity speed test device on the modem and only hit 600Mbps.  At that time, the tech swapped to another modem he had in his truck(same model as the other) and with his test set hit 950Mbps.

All good...

Forward three days... new modem, running at 600Mbps....

Ticket #4 - Chatted with someone... explained all of the above. They told me they'd escalate to level 2 and if I got disconnected, they'd call me back.... they didn't call back.

Ticket #5 - I called back in and they had no record of that call 15 minutes ago.  They told me I had the wrong modem... even though they provided it. Was on for over 1.5 hours and asked for a manager...  spoke with a supervisor... he verified everything looks good config-wise and said I have a Technicolor modem CGM4140 and that I should try their Arris EG1682G to see if the different modem fixes it... both are used for XFINITY XB6 it sounds like? A tech is coming out tomorrow to swap modems.

Anyone ran in to this 600Mbps issue and had it resolved permanently?

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

5 years ago

I’m also having same type issues, except it’s been going on for 7 months no fix. And both gateways you listed is different from mine. Also xb6 how many different models of xb6 do they have? Holy cow

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

5 years ago

@somegeek wrote:

and that I should try their Arris EG1682G to see if the different modem fixes it... both are used for XFINITY XB6 it sounds like? A tech is coming out tomorrow to swap modems.

I don't know what the problem is, but one thing that I can tell you is that the Arris TG1682 is only a DOCSIS 3.0 capable (XB3) device, so it will never be able to deliver the gig speed tier. A DOCSIS 3.1 capable device is a must !

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

@EG wrote:

@somegeek wrote:

and that I should try their Arris EG1682G to see if the different modem fixes it... both are used for XFINITY XB6 it sounds like? A tech is coming out tomorrow to swap modems.

I don't know what the problem is, but one thing that I can tell you is that the Arris TG1682 is only a DOCSIS 3.0 capable (XB3) device, so it will never be able to deliver the gig speed tier. A DOCSIS 3.1 capable device is a must !

I will ask the tech about this.  Thanks!

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

Did you also see 950Mbps down from time to time as well?

@DeathVice67 wrote:
I’m also having same type issues, except it’s been going on for 7 months no fix. And both gateways you listed is different from mine. Also xb6 how many different models of xb6 do they have? Holy cow

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

5 years ago

I have yet to see speeds over 700

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

5 years ago

Yes.yes. I’ve been given a generous amount of credits back for this situation which I do appreciate thank you Comcast but still incredibly irritated by what I’m reading that this xb6 modem isn’t good and I should buy my own yet I technically can’t or else they will charge me 50$ for unlimited data which isn’t fair.

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

5 years ago

@somegeek wrote:

Did you also see 950Mbps down from time to time as well?

Yes. And you got that with a DOCSIS 3.1 capable device.

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

@DeathVice67 wrote:
I have yet to see speeds over 700

The xfinity tech that came out, talked to his boss and he said their spec is that anything over 929Mbps (or 939Mbps - can't recall) is considered gig.  You should be seeing that minimum or getting a credit for a service they can't deliver yet charge you for?

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

@DeathVice67 wrote:
Yes.yes. I’ve been given a generous amount of credits back for this situation which I do appreciate thank you Comcast but still incredibly irritated by what I’m reading that this xb6 modem isn’t good and I should buy my own yet I technically can’t or else they will charge me 50$ for unlimited data which isn’t fair.

What credits are you getting?  I've gotten $20 twice now for these issues.

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

5 years ago

And I would take a stable connection at this point if anything. I’m getting neither stability or the speed I’m paying for lol

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

5 years ago

20$ here and there

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

@DeathVice67 wrote:
So what exactly is the issue? The modem or Xfinity itself? He wants you to push the issue to what end? Did he give you a fix?

Xfinity themselves regarding some config in the path.  The tech said there's not much he can do about the fix except to advise me to escalate.  His work is all physical and that's been proven out.  He's heard of this where they fix it for a few days and then it drops back down.  I've also read a few posts online about this same issue with no resolve.  

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

5 years ago

So what exactly is the issue? The modem or Xfinity itself? He wants you to push the issue to what end? Did he give you a fix?

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

The tech advised that the XB6 I had was the only modem they have that does 1G service and that this is a config issue on xfinity's end since I was at 950Mbps twice already.  He advised pushing on tech support to escalate.  He said this issue has existed for about nine months.

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

Conversed with xfinity via twitter DM which was great to document the chat.  After back and forth for  few hours, they advised that getting a tech out here and pushing the matter there will be best so a tech will be back out tomorrow morning.

They did advise that in time they will provide me with the new XB7 modem to see if that remedies things however that won't be available for a bit still.

Sure helps to document the process to save time when reaching out again to share what's already been done... saves both of us time.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here