N0_service's profile

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

Monday, January 29th, 2024 5:07 PM

Closed

Gateway speed test

What's the best way to check internet speed at the gateway?   

If I understand correctly, xfinity speed test measures speed to the device.  On my xfinity app, the Internet Health/Check your Speeds seems to be non-functional.  (Not sure if this is because I have the gateway in bridge mode.  Doesn't seem like this would preclude speed measurement, but I've read conflicting posts on this.)  What's recommended?  

Thanks

Official Employee

• 

2K Messages

7 months ago

Hi there, @N0_service

Xfinity xFi allows you to test the speed of the Xfinity Internet connection to your xFi Gateway. This test is available to Xfinity Internet customers with compatible xFi Gateways (excludes DPC3939 and AX5001 models) through the Xfinity app.

Speed to gateway vs. speed to devices

It’s important to differentiate between the speed of the internet connection to the Gateway and the speed that reaches individual devices in the home.

The Speed to Gateway Test measures the speed of the internet connection to the xFi Gateway in your home. This differs from traditional internet speed tests, like our Xfinity Speed Test, which measure the speed reaching the device that’s running the test itself.

Speed to Gateway results are often higher than results from a traditional speed test because they aren't impacted by various factors like WiFi conditions or device capabilities.

A high result for a Speed to Gateway Test means that all or more of your planned speed is being delivered to the gateway. 

When Speed to Gateway is high, but the speed to a device is lower than expected, then the speed bottleneck is likely within the home (most often caused by a weak WiFi connection) rather than in the network.

How to test Speed to Gateway

1. Sign in to the Xfinity app with your Xfinity ID and password.
  2. Select WiFi from the bottom of the app.
  3. Select Troubleshoot.
  4. Tap Test your whole home network.
  5. From here, the app will test both the speed to your gateway and to the devices you’re using to access xFi.

Notes:

• If you see the Full Network Test tile, you won’t see the Speed to Gateway tile, but you can still test the speed to your gateway by selecting that tile and running a full network test.
  • If you test Speed to Device and the results of the test are lower than expected, you'll see the Speed to Gateway test automatically on the results page.

We hope this information helps. Please let us know if you have additional questions. Our awesome team is here to help. 

1 Message

This DOES NOT display your speed to the gateway, it only shows "Gateway online". 

Expert

• 

105.7K Messages

@user_8jhrr1​ 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks. The original poster has not returned. 6-month-old dead thread is now being closed.

For future reference, it is better to submit your own post as it creates a ticket to get help, and posting on someone else's older thread can delay getting help.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

7 months ago

Thanks.  I don't see these options.  When I chose Wifi / Troubleshoot, there is a long delay and them I'm asked to confirm my service address.  After this completes, I'm asked to approve restarting the modem.  I don't get an option to Test my Home Network

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you for getting back to us @N0_service! When Bridge Mode is enabled, you can access the Xfinity app to manage your account, but you won’t be able to use Xfinity xFi. You should see these options upon disabling bridge mode.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

7 months ago

Is there a way to test the speed to the gateway while in bridge mode?  This does not require wifi

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

I dearly apologize @N0_service, the speed to gateway test is an Xfinity Xfi feature. By having the wireless gateway in bridge mode, this Xfinity xFi feature is disabled. By disabling bridge modem, you should be able to run the speed to gateway test and then enable bridge mode again after the test.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here