U

Friday, August 30th, 2024 7:50 PM

Frequent website security certificate errors - susi.comcast.net redirect to "Activation" page

Been round and round with support and can't seem to get someone who understands the issues.  If I get told to "restart" something again I've had it... and then once I restart something I'm told "you're online so we resolved the issue!"  No.  No you have not and no one seems to have any clue of what is going on.

PLEASE HELP!!!

What happens is when I visit websites, randomly and frequently I get a warning that "This Connection is Not Private" stating there is an invalid security certificate.  The security certificate goes to "susi.comcast.net" and when you proceed to the site it is a redirect to a "Welcome to Xfinity" site telling you to download the app and activate internet.   The websites are where I get this error are random and sometimes it goes through, sometimes it does not. And it's not the same websites either, that is random too.  Many of the websites are standard secure sites that usually have no issues.

I have a personal router, so the Comcast Modem is in bridge mode.  However I have tried several times taking it in and out of bridge mode and still have the same issues either way.

To answer the "tech support" standard questions that I always get asked:

1.  Yes, my internet is activated

2.  Yes, I am connected 

3.  No, I am not "restarting" unless you have an idea of what the problem actually is

Official Employee

• 

533 Messages

19 days ago

@user_6vdjgz Hello and good afternoon. Thanks for posing and sharing your experience with the community. We appreciate it and are happy to assist. We are a team of experts that you can count on to ensure your internet is working. We all work from home, and know it is vital to have a good connection. Thanks for the troubleshooting so far, you may need to actually reboot the modem and also your internet devices so everything has the latest patches and updates successfully. What devices is this happening on? List the devices, their operating systems, and their latest OS version numbers so we can proceed. 

3 Messages

@XfinityBenny​ I have tried rebooting at least a dozen times - this includes the gateway, the router, and all devices.  The last attempt at rebooting everything was yesterday.  As I said in my post, I am NOT interested in simply rebooting everything again hoping some fix happens.

This internet redirect problem happens on all devices across apple, android, and PC, when they are connected to the network.  It did not happen with my previous Xfinity gateway that I was forced to replace a couple months ago when I renewed my service contract.  Unfortunately, tech support seems to always default to this being a "connectivity issue" but it is NOT.  I have a good connection, all services are working, but the problem is isolated to internet and this random yet frequent (5-10% of the time) redirect to the page stated above.  It is not isolated to any particular internet pages (i.e. it just happened on Amazon) and appears completely random.  

Please help me identify and fix this very specific problem - attempting to go to a website and 5-10% of the time getting a warning that "This Connection is Not Private" stating there is an invalid security certificate, having the security certificate from "susi.comcast.net" and a redirect to a "Welcome to Xfinity" site telling you to download the app and activate internet.   

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

Thanks for those additional details. Are you using a firewall at all? What browser are having issues with accessing the websites on? Here is a link to help with some security settings on your Xfinity modem, https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-xfinity-xfi-advanced-security.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here