C

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, April 25th, 2024 5:30 PM

Eligible for faster upload speed?

I'm on the 1200 Mbps plan. Although I rarely achieve that rate - it's usually around 940 Mbps - I'm OK with that for downloads. But uploads are usually only in the 35-40 Mbps range, which is too slow for much of the work I do. Ideally, I'd like symmetrical 1 Gbps or something close, but even 200 Mbps download would be much better than what I get now.

It's my understanding that this limitation is related to the infrastructure in my area, but I haven't been able to get anyone from Xfinity to tell me if and when higher speeds will be available. I had a~12 hour outage yesterday that was characterized on Xfinity's service map as being caused by "network upgrades." Does that mean I'll be able to achieve better upload speed anytime soon?

Accepted Solution

Contributor

• 

26 Messages

3 months ago

How are you testing? Which gateway/modem are you using? If it's an XB7 or XB8, only only of the network ports is faster than 1 Gbe.

940 sounds suspiciously like a 1 Gbe connection is somewhere in the test chain.

Contributor

• 

26 Messages

As an aside, after years of stability, my connection got unreliable and unstable starting a few months before they lit up the next gen service. I'm on the 800 Mbps tier and consistently getting the speeds shown in the "report card" that Xfinity now provides (950/120). 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

I have an XB8 and didn't know only 1 of the ports is faster than 1 Gb. But your post made me check further, and I realized the Ethernet port on the device I was testing with (Apple TV 4k) is limited to 1 Gb, which accounts for the results. Thanks!

Co-incidentally, I just got an email from Xfinity saying they'll be doing work in my neighborhood next week to "ultimately" offer symmetrical multi-Gb upload and download speeds, though when that will happen is unclear.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Yup, that was it. I'm getting 1.4 Gb on my laptop connected to the gateway. Thanks again.

Official Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

Colorads Hi there! We do not have exact dates as to when the service will be available, but if you already got an email stating the work has started. Thats good news! Once everything is complete you will receive another email. 🙂

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

The work is supposed to begin tomorrow, but the notice said the infrastructure changes would ultimately allow symmetric high upload and download speeds without saying when. TBH, even going to 200 Mbps uploads would be a significant improvement, so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here