U

Sunday, June 16th, 2024 6:47 AM

Download speeds way below paid for?

My plan is up to 1200mbps and I am getting only 99mpbs downloading off Steam. Worked with the Xfinity chat assistant and they said, "Everything is working great!", even after this was the Speedtest I ran from Ookla. This is happening at 11:15pm, so definitely not network congestion. Tried restarting the modem, rebooting my computer...am I being throttled?

[Removed image: "Personal Information"]

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

3 months ago

Me too. My speed is to be 400mbps and just checked and its 55.3?

Contributor

• 

53 Messages

3 months ago

Same here.  Consistently getting 50 mbps when I pay for 1000 mbps!!  Called, of course, asked location of modem/router, it's less than a foot from computer and its

already been rebooted. Had this issue last year, tech came out, worked at 1000 for few months.  Now back down to 50 again.  Had service scheduled to come out, was a no show!

Official Employee

• 

537 Messages

3 months ago

@user_837kg3 You'll never see your advertised speeds when downloading content from an external source as there are a lot of factors that will cause that speed to vary. Steam also has individual settings to check out and ensure the throttling is not enabled. You can attempt to try a different download server within the Steam settings to get different results. 94 Mbps of download speed from a Steam server is pretty great! I get about 70ish when I download games to my personal PC. 

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

Let me get this right. We pay for speeds of up to 500mbps and get 200 and its OK? I had a tech scheduled for last week to check my speed and connection and never showed or bothered to contact me.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hey @shipper50,

Thank you for visiting our official Xfinity Forums Community support page. We will be more than happy to offer assistance towards the Xfinity Internet service. While you may pay for a higher speed, you may not always be able to achieve those faster speeds. We do provide fast access to the Internet, but many factors can affect the speeds being received.

This can be outside factors such as distance, network hops, server speeds and many more. A great example is downloading a game. When I download games or updates, I rarely get close to the maximum speeds I subscribe to. This is probably due to the server speeds pushing out the games and updates not being able to be as fast as my connection. Always happens on my game consoles. 

A good way to verify that your home is receiving the speeds close to your subscription would be visiting our speed test website by Clicking Here. You can also download our amazing Xfinity Application where you can perform a Whole Home Network test to perform a speed test to the modem and verify the signal strength (WiFi) to your other devices. You can find more details on this by visiting our 'Full Network and device connection tests in the Xfinity app' support page. Poor wireless signal can cause slow speeds as well. 

We recommend looking this information over and let us know if you need any assistance troubleshooting further.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

3 months ago

Also open your task manager and check to see how much of your memory you're using when you're trying to download games. If there is high memory usage then your speed will be slower

1 Message

23 days ago

having the same issue.  why are we paying for speeds we'll NEVER actually obtain downstream?  Xfinity sucks but we have no other choice as they have monopolized the region here where I live.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here