U

Friday, August 9th, 2024 1:07 PM

Do the xFi Superpods need to be close to the router if you are using an ethernet backhaul connection?

I am getting a very weak wifi signal in my basement.  I was thinking about adding an xFi Pod, but because of the layout of the house it would not be within the recommended distance from the gateway.  It would 60 feet or more, one floor and maybe 2 walls away - not good.  My question is if I connect the pod to the gateway with a wired ethernet connection does that eliminate the restriction?  With the backhaul connection does it act more like an access point than a simple range extender simply rebroadcasting a very weak signal?

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

106K Messages

1 month ago

Yes. If you can run a backhaul ethernet cable to it after activating it via WiFi. That would be better !

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

1 month ago

Hi @user_ut5ltk Thank you for visiting our official Xfinity Forums Community support page. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience regarding Wi-Fi Boost Pods. I would be more than happy to offer my assistance looking into this further for you.

With our Wi-Fi Boost Pods, for activation purposes, you would need to activate the devices wirelessly. So you would want to have them within 5-30 feet during activation. Once the Wi-Fi Boost Pods have been activated, you can then use an Ethernet cable to Ethernet Backhaul the device. When utilized in this manner, the Wi-Fi Boost Pod would not need to have a good wireless signal to the Xfinity xFi Gateway.

We do offer our Wi-Fi Boost Pods for $119.00 for a single pod or $199.00 for a two-pack. Another great option we also have is our Xfinity Storm-Ready Wi-Fi device. This devices helps provide a cellular data back-up for any service interruptions to your services. It has come in quite handy for a few storms I've had this summer.

The Xfinity Storm-Ready Wi-Fi device acts like a Wi-Fi Boost Pod during normal services and provides back-up cellular Internet during power outages or regular service interruptions. This device is $252.00 or $7.00 per month for 36 months with the installment plan. The installment plan can be closed if you wish to pay off the device sooner. This would help keep your upfront cost low for purchasing a device.

You can find additional information on our Wi-Fi Boost Pods by Clicking Here or our Xfinity Storm-Ready Wi-Fi Device by Clicking Here. The Xfinity Storm-Ready Wi-Fi Device is able to be Ethernet Back hauled as well, so it sounds like it would be a perfect option for extending your Wi-Fi network and back-up in case of any weather events or service interruptions.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here