KarlWS's profile

Visitor

• 

18 Messages

Monday, December 26th, 2022 4:58 PM

Closed

Disappearing Xfinity Hotspots

I'm a relatively new xFi gateway user. In about 6 weeks time, we have had 3 units. We decided to go with the xFi gateway, after having extreme difficulty with a 3rd party router (NETGEAR CAX80) staying connected to the internet.

Since the xFi gateway does not feature a guest network, as our 3rd party device did, we thought the Xfinity hotspots would be better than nothing.

Apparently not.

While the personal network side of each xFi gateway has been working great, the Xfinity hotspots are, again, no longer displaying as available networks.

Most recently, they worked as they're supposed to, for a couple of days, then disappeared, overnight, last Friday. This has been the same pattern on each of the gateways; they'll display and function for an arbitrary amount of time, then inexplicably vanish.

The hotspots are toggled on, within the Xfinity app (see attached screenshot). If you check the setting on the Xfinity website, it also shows enabled (see attached screenshot). At your end, I believe it shows as pending.

Pending what? 

I've spent a great deal of time on direct message support trying to get this issue resolved, but after 3 modems, a tech visit, and countless DM exchanges on the website, they're currently still not working, on all our devices.

If we visit a nearby restaurant, we can always connect to the Xfinity hotspots. That's never been an issue.

Since my options to control the hotspots are limited to just the on/off toggle, I have nothing more I can do from my end. Since I have experienced the same problem on 3 modems, my guess, is, it's not the hardware. Maybe a firmware or software issue on the hotspot side? IDK.

I do know, if you Google the issue, I am not alone. If Xfinity says, the hotspots are included at no extra cost, but they're invisible and not operational, what good is that feature?

So, we have no guest network, no xfinitywifi or XFINITY hotspots, and our son and family are coming to visit us, next weekend. Do you have a solution?

-----

Device Manufacturer: samsung

Device Model: SM-G965U

Operating System: Android 10

Device Language: en_US

App Language: en

App Version: 8.2.0(926)

Offline Datasets: No

-----

Visitor

• 

18 Messages

2 years ago

This is from the Xfinity FAQs...

"What is the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot feature?

Your Xfinity Wireless Gateway broadcasts two additional network signals (“xfinitywifi” and “XFINITY”), creating an extension of the Xfinity WiFi network right in your home. This service is completely separate from your secure, private home WiFi network and allows guests to sign in and connect without sharing your secure network password. Your Home Hotspot is included with your service at no additional charge."

Except ours.

Official Employee

• 

9 Messages

1 year ago

Hi @KarlWS , I'm sorry to hear your having issues with Xfinity WiFi Hotspots. I'm going to try to look into this for you.

In the meantime, you can share access to your home network with guests using the "Share your WiFi" feature in the Xfinity App. Just have your guests scan the QR code or send your Network Name & Password to them by clicking "Share." 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

I have the xfi gateway and I am having the same problem and the only difference is that in the new xfinity app the toggle switch totally disappeared after about a week or less. and so did XFINITY and xfinitywifi hotspots.  the old xfinity app has currently got the toggle switch but is being discontinued in favor of the new broken app so we need a solution to the problem please 

(edited)

Visitor

• 

18 Messages

1 year ago

Hi. I've been trying to get this issue fixed, for over 2½ months. On 2/2/23, an Xfinity tech agent informed me that the engineering team had found a back-end issue, for which they had a solution, and they were going to push a fix to our xFi gateway. The next morning the Xfinity hotspots, xfinitywifi and XFINITY, both reappeared. I couldn't connect to them, until after I restarted the gateway. I'm currently in day 3, without any issues. We are monitoring.

Also, regarding the hotspots toggle, it's now gone in the app, under advanced settings. If you click on participate in hotspots, it just takes you to the hotspots map. The hotspots toggle still is available on the Xfinity website settings.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@KarlWS​ I can't seem to find it when I click on the wifi symbol it tells me I have to use the new app and sometimes to the new xfinity web page which is totally useless

I have tried everything on the xfinity website to find those settings but can't find it

(edited)

Visitor

• 

18 Messages

https://customer.xfinity.com/#/settings/security/hotspot

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hello @user_0b3d52, and thank you for reaching out to us with your concern with the Xfinity app not showing the Hotspot toggle. We would be happy to help in any way we can. Can you create your own public post with details of the issue for us to work with you from please?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

1 year ago

I have to warn you that using your computer, or others, as a hot spot i a really dumb and dangerous idea. It was done about 10 years ago by another company. That is why you are finding less hotspots. like this.

Using Comcast's own hotspots is safe in any are set up near you. You are better off paying for your own Internet.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here