I

Monday, June 10th, 2024 10:23 PM

Desktop paused

I paused device last night and unpause it today and now my PC is showing that it is paused on the network. I have tried unpause and pausing several different devices and my PC keeps opening browser tabs telling me that this device is paused. I have tried everything I can think of, including resetting my PC and the modem. Please help. 

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

104.9K Messages

2 months ago

Not certain that this is the issue but just throwing it out there. YMMV.

Maybe it is indeed that your neighbor is pausing your PC. Perhaps they are inadvertently connecting to your network / gateway device via the MoCA feature that's built into the gateway devices. MoCA (Multimedia Over Coax Alliance) is an alternate hardwired way to connect devices to a home network if ethernet cabling can not be used/run. It uses the existing coax cable wiring instead of ethernet cabling. 

If the MoCA feature is enabled, and you do not have a PoE (Point of Entry) MoCA filter installed on the coax line, yours, and your neighbor's gateway devices will be able to connect with each other like one big network. 

Disable it if you aren't using it. If you are, install a PoE MoCA filter on the input port of the first splitter off of the street drop to keep the MoCA signal in your premises and to keep the neighbor's signals out. Your neighbors should also have PoE filters installed.

To disable MoCA on your device. First, unplug the coax cable line from the jack on the gateway device. Then go to the gateway login http://10.0.0.1    

Default login info is:
Username: admin (all lowercase)
Password: password

Once in you will find the drop-down on the left of the screen that is labeled “Connections”.

Click the drop down---> click MoCA---> right side of screen click “disable”---> save changes.

Bear in mind that we've seen many posts here that the MoCA feature gets turned back on with their overnight re-boots / updates for the device. The best policy is to be sure to use that PoE filter ! Amazon has them: https://www.amazon.com/SNLP-1GCW-Filter-Eliminate-Multi-Room-Interference/dp/B07SLD9QPH     

Or you may be able to get one for free at your local Comcast / Xfinity store. Or book a tech to come out and install one for you.

If the MoCA feature is not being used on your home network, you can put the PoE filter right at the back of your gateway device instead.

(edited)

3 Messages

THAT WAS IT! You are a life saver! Thank you isn’t even enough to tell you how much I appreciate your help!

Expert

• 

104.9K Messages

Quite welcome ! Be sure to use a PoE filter because as stated, that feature magically gets turned back on....

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hey @ItzMikeyBB,

Thanks for visiting our official Xfinity Forums Community support page. I appreciate you sharing your experience with us so we can assist. I am so glad that our Forums Expert @EG was able to give some helpful advise and guidance. 

The MoCA feature can get re-enabled which could cause the issue to happen again. I would highly recommend visiting a local Xfinity Store and request a MoCA POE Filter that you can install on the back of the modem. This will help prevent this issue from occurring in the future. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

104.9K Messages

@XfinityDemitrius​ 

FWIW. It should only be put on the back of a modem if one is not using the feature. If it is being used it needs to be put on the input port of the first splitter off of the drop from the street.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

3 Messages

2 months ago

I just found out new neighbors just moved into my building and also just installed Xfinity internet so maybe that could have something to do with it?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here