U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, December 28th, 2021 3:43 PM

Closed

Default Router Login No Longer Works

After installing a new router/modem combo unit, the default login and password for my router/modem no longer works. I recently installed a Motorola MG7700. Before I activated the unit with Xfinity, the default username "admin" and password "motorola" worked fine, and I could login to the unit's configuration page. However, after I activated the unit with Xfinity's app, the same login and password no longer work. I still have a working internet connection, but I can't login to the router/modem to change the WiFi name and password. 

Again, the default login and password worked fine before Xfinity's activation. I only experienced problems after activation. Is it possible that Xfinity somehow changes the default username and password for the router during activation? If so, does anyone know what the new username and password would be?

Thanks for any help!

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

2 years ago

I'd like to avoid having to factory rest the router every time Xfinity pushes some sort of firmware update. Is it possible to avoid this?

You'd have to use a router that is separate from the modem. They always have absolute control over modems and gateways, but not over standalone routers.

Also, won't a factory reset mean that I'd have to re-setup my WiFi network all over again? 

Yes. Again, having a separate router would prevent this.

Note: Be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post (by scrolling down to the Comment box) the author of the post you are Commenting on is notified of your response. But if you click Reply, the author of the post you are Replying to is NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@BruceW  Thanks for the link. I actually saw that thread earlier, but I also saw the final comment: "FWIW, don't be surprised if in the near future that the firmware gets re-flashed by Comcast again and things go back to being the way that they were. YMMV. Good luck ! " 

I'd like to avoid having to factory rest the router every time Xfinity pushes some sort of firmware update. Is it possible to avoid this? Also, won't a factory reset mean that I'd have to re-setup my WiFi network all over again? 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here