U

Thursday, July 11th, 2024 7:05 PM

Constant, but short internet connection drops after changing Xfinity plan

Edit 7/14/2024: Thanks for the advice everyone, we're going to get a tech out and see if they can help us

For the past few weeks I've been having connection drops that only last for a few seconds, but still disconnect me from online games and my PC shows that it is unconnected to the Internet when it happens. After reviewing forums with similar issues I've found a few symptoms and potential causes but I do not know where to go from here, short of getting an Xfinity tech to come out.

- High upstream power usage, above the 50 dBmV that Xfinity recommends as the maximum- 1367 Uncorrectable Codewords on a channel that is not the main channel (13 is the main, errors are on 29) after a fresh Gateway power cycle and right after a connection drop

- Games I've noticed problems in are Destiny 2 and Insurgency Sandstorm on PC -> Sandstorm shows packet loss and connection issue warning icons regularly, Destiny 2 just disconnects me back to the main menu

- Connection drops occur multiple times an hour, or not at all. Very inconsistent and doesn't seem to be tied to a time of day or other users on the network

- I had three connection drops between 12:38pm EST and 1:47pm EST today, and I manually power-cycled my Gateway in the middle of that span at 1:27pm EST (12:38pm, 1:03pm, 1:47pm were the times of the drops)

- One Xfinity forum suggested that a tech might need to separate my connection from a neighbor through a new port based on an error code I copy/paste searched (https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/fwipv6-forward-drop-and-fwipv6-input-drop/64414e304e3ccd50b802d309)

- We do not have any splitters, no hardware has changed in the past several months, but we did have an Xfinity plan change right when these issues began and we also made some changes to our secondary Apple Airport WiFi network at the same general time. That AirPort is now turned off and should not be interfering and is unplugged from the Gateway. The Gateway remains the primary WiFi network in the house for all devices.

- Nothing is being added to the event log on the Gateway settings; the Firewall log, and System log have entries but I do not know how to understand them

- I have read that high temperatures can affect connection, and we have had multiple 90+ degree days recently but that's happened before and not caused these problems

- My connection speed is still strong on WiFi, last test was around 600mbps on Xfinity's speed tester, it just drops out randomly and causes disconnects from online games. Buffered content like YouTube and streaming do not seem to have any issues on any devices. My PC is the biggest issue with this problem, and I've checked for drivers and other issues and do not believe it is an issue with the PC.

- NAT type also sometimes changes from Open to Moderate

Here are some stats from the Gateway settings:
- notice the above 50dBmV Upstream Power Level, Xfinity recommends 50 as the maximum
NOTE: The time on the Gateway is one hour behind my actual local time for some reason, so add an hour to the times

Please use the Imgur link to see the stats: https://imgur.com/gallery/xfinity-connection-issues-RFY5x82

6 Messages

2 months ago

Three more disconnects since posting this today

Expert

• 

105.5K Messages

2 months ago

We can't see your stats. The 10.xxx address is for your private LAN. It is unroutable over the internet. You need to copy all of the text / signal tables and paste the text into your next post here. Can't see any of your pics either. Try hosting them at one of those free third party pic hosting sites and post the links to them here.

6 Messages

I made an imgur link with the images and all the comments referring to them, I cannot copy the old text anymore so the images will have to do.

Why does the forum post UI have an image posting option if they don't work? I could see them fine on my end after posting them.

Official Employee

• 

495 Messages

@user_nw2hpt Hmm, it's probably the game. The Queen is back, we never got rid of the worms... the only thing they got rid of was "We've woken the hive 0_0" lol, jk jk. Love Destiny, and EG is right. A tech is best to investigate onsite. Were you able to get one out? This https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/schedule-repair-appointment helps troubleshoot, and schedule a repair if its not resolved remotely. Let me know if you have any trouble doing so, we'll make sure you stay in your sessions successfully. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

6 Messages

@XfinityBenny​ The guide in the link you posted does not seem to work for Internet issues. I clicked "Troubleshoot" and it forced me to restart my Gateway and only after that did it show me other options. None of the options is to simply schedule an appointment, it makes you use the Xfinity Assistant chatbot. Might be worth reporting this issue with the guide so Xfinity can update it for other users in the future.

Official Employee

• 

2.5K Messages

@user_nw2hpt We appreciate the feedback, typically you will be given other options to attempt further troubleshooting which helps to determine if the technician visit is necessary. Did you attempt to select any of the other options?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

6 Messages

What is the process for getting a human at Xfinity to come out? I tried the assistant and 1-800-XFINITY and both bots keep giving me the run around. It just keeps asking me to do the same troubleshooting things I've already done over and over, I just want a real human.

(edited)

Expert

• 

105.5K Messages

2 months ago

Nothing there.. Got link ? And still need to see those signal status values.

Try getting them here; http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1 

Please copy all of the text in its entirety of the *Downstream Power Levels*, the *SNR's* (Signal to Noise Ratios), and the *Upstream Power Level* numbers and paste them into your next post.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 months ago

I have dropouts every 5 to 15 minutes, the 2 times techs came out and put their meter on the line it shows no issues. The same when the tech on the phone tests it. They replaced the tap on the line and the coax from the pole to the modem. I replaced the modem/router with a Netgear CAX80 from Xfinity's highly suggested list.  I installed a nic card. It's been doing this for 2 months on all devices in the house, and nothing has fixed it.
I'm starting to think Xfinity is messing with customers that don't rent their modem, in hopes they will rent. One of the techs said that was the next step xfinity would want to try

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Hello user_c05f25, thank you for reaching out and providing those details in your comment. Connection issues like that can be pretty annoying, so I'm sorry that's been the case I'd love to work with you more on this, and do all that I can to find a resolution. Are you able to confirm if you're seeing this intermittent connection over wireless, hardwired, or both. Also, what troubleshooting steps have you taken on your end? That way we can avoid repeating anything you've tried already.

7 Messages

I have the same issues.  Please help.

7 Messages

@XfinityMarcos​ I have had 5 techs come out.  Changed my xfinity modem to the newest and greatest.  I told the techs - it blips.  They put the machine on and it says it's fine.  I had them remove all the splitters so that it is an straight shot to my modem and tighten the connections from the outside.  They even replaced the outside wires.  The latest tech blamed my computer.  It isn't my computer as it does it to my other family members school and work computers.  It still Blips.  Please help.

Expert

• 

105.5K Messages

2 months ago

@user_nw2hpt 

OK so the upstream power is too high and it may be intermittently fluctuating even higher to out-of-spec levels. And the downstream power is too low to being completely out of spec. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, speed, packet loss, latency problems, and the un-bonding of channels.

You need to get a tech out to investigate ! Bear in mind that if the premises facing techs can not find or fix a problem at your home, it is they who are responsible for escalating it up to their line / network / maintenance dept. techs. The problem may lie beyond your home in the local neighborhood infrastructure somewhere but it is their S.O.P. to start at the home. And if the problem is found to be on their side of the demarcation point, there will not be any charge.

Good luck !

(edited)

6 Messages

@EG​ Update 7/16/24: Tech came out to our house, I showed him the downstream and upstream values and he said they were within the technician's acceptable range but near the high end so it could have been causing problems, especially with the heat we've been having. He found a bad, unnecessary splitter from an old line we don't use in the basement, likely caused by a power surge at some point. He removed it and connected the line directly and tested the values again. They looked good on his end and on my end they also dropped.

Downstream power increased to between -5 and -4, up from -8

Upstream power decreased from 50-53 down to 47-48 now

I'll keep testing my connection throughout the week and see how it goes. Hopefully all is better now!

(P.S. the worst part of this entire experience is just scheduling the tech visit, smh)

Expert

• 

105.5K Messages

1 month ago

@XfinityMarcos 

Hey Marcos. Are my posts invisible ??? We've already narrowed the problem down to a signal / connection impairment.... They need a tech visit...... One of your co-workers @XfinityBenny even agreed above......................

7 Messages

27 days ago

Hi - I am having all the same issues you are having.  Please advise how you fixed it.

7 Messages

I have had 5 techs come out.  Changed my xfinity modem to the newest and greatest.  I told the techs - it blips.  They put the machine on and it says it's fine.  I had them remove all the splitters so that it is an straight shot to my modem and tighten the connections from the outside.  They even replaced the outside wires.  The latest tech blamed my computer.  It isn't my computer as it does it to my other family members school and work computers.  It still Blips.  Please help.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here