runbei's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Monday, April 22nd, 2024 3:56 AM

Comcast was rock solid until 3-4 days ago and now it's, well, less so

A couple days ago our internet service was out for about 12 hours. The xfinity app reported the outage. When it was fixed I thought, oh great, now we'll return to the rock-solid connectivity we've enjoyed for 10-plus years. Sadly, the service hasn't really been fixed. We've had multiple outages daily, always with the same message - your internet is down do to an outage in your area - we're working to fix it and expect to be done in (3-5 hours). What I'd like to know is where and how we can find out if Comcast really is doing anything about it or if they're just applying Band-Aids and hoping we won't complain too loudly. I work from a home office, and connectivity is important. We're in Mountain View, California. (The issue is not at our end - when it goes down all of the Comcast wireless signals in our apartment complex go down.) I feel it's terrible customer service not to let us know what is really happening and when we can expect a fix. Just the same standard boilerplate message. I would hate to switch, as Comcast has been amazing for the last decade, but now I'm in the dark and leaning toward switching.

Accepted Solution

12 Messages

3 months ago

You're unlikely to get an exact answer about your area unless you contact a local branch/tech. Even then it's unlikely that they would know until the tech has concluded their work and logged a completed ticket. If the system has your area flagged as an outage, that's already pretty good.

I wouldn't say it's bad customer service. You have high expectations. If you switch companies you're going to have the same problem. Like you said, you had amazing service for a decade and are just now having problems... Give them a chance to fix stuff, technology isn't fixed with the wave of a wand. Sometimes you do something that's a fix, and it does fix the problem! But a few hours later a different problem occurs, and you just have to diagnose until it's good. 

If you want specifics, I'd try to call your local branch to see if they can review service logs.
Just know there's a good chance during an ongoing outage that the tech didn't log a note about what's going on, because they're too busy currently trying to fix what's going on to inform every one of the situation...

**Disclaimer: I'm not a support agent

(edited)

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@SystemWANalyst​ Thank you. You are exactly right. It's been five days now and the disconnects occur reliably every day around 5 p.m. I want to support the techs. The service has been outstanding for 10+ years. But now all of a sudden the system goes out with no indication of progress toward a fix, no notification of what's happening, and a measly $5 credit for the outages which started with a 12-hour total shutdown. If we were being informed, I might be a bit more patient.

I agree, I doubt the other providers would do better, with the exception of Sonic.net fiber which doesn't serve our location.

Contributor

• 

26 Messages

3 months ago

I went from rock-solid for years to multiple outages and huge performance swings a few months ago but it went back to rock-solid when they lit up the next gen network. It was a long couple of months where I started looking seriously at fixed wireless and actually changed to a new router (Unifi XCG-Lite from a Plume Pod) and switched my XB7 from bridged to router modem so that I could speed test without touching my home network trying to fix the problems. Neither of those changes fixed anything but they were fun distractions while Xfinity got the network upgraded

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@tannebil​ Thanks. We're on day 2 with no outages so far. Yes, creative distraction as a cure for not really knowing what's happening or when it will end. In my case the outages gave me an excuse to use AT&T's tool to remove itself ("Carrier: ATT 58.0") from my scruffy iPad 12.9 2nd Gen and get a $13/mo cellular SIM from Red Pocket. Xfinity is lovely when it just works for months and months. Wish they would give us a little more info about what's happening when things go blooey.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here