U

Sunday, March 3rd, 2024 11:12 PM

Closed

Coaxial cable outside house melting hot

The coaxial cable connection between the Xfinity side from the street and the coaxial cable coming from my house is melting hot on the Xfinity side. The metal connection is burning hot to the skin. The Xfinity side coaxial is warm to the touch for about two feet and it’s melting closer to the connection

3 Messages

3 months ago

Xfinity says the next tech appointment is in two days but this seems like a fire hazard emergency. What can I do to mitigate a fire risk? 

Expert

• 

104.1K Messages

3 months ago

I would try and see if I could get a local electrician out even faster. Many times this turns out to be a problem with the house's electrical system neutral leg anyway. I would separate the both ends of the coax from that grounding block (use thick gloves). You'll lose service of course but there are worse things !

3 Messages

Thanks. I disconnected both ends and now both the street side and house side are cold. I’ll have to see what an electrician thinks is going on. 

Appreciate the help. 

Expert

• 

104.1K Messages

3 months ago

Please post back here with the outcome, thanks.

Expert

• 

104.1K Messages

1 month ago

Please re-visit the advice given. Get a tech, or even better, a local low-voltage electrician out to investigate. It is a potential fire and / or an electrocution hazard. Good luck !! Please post back with the outcome.

(edited)

2 Messages

@EG & @XfinityEva, it's an open neutral at the outside, the wire between the meter and the power line, PGE did a great job to check it and replace the wire.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

user_hzt6c2 Thank you so much for the update, and we are glad to hear they were able to get that taken care of! 

[Edited for spelling]

(edited)

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

104.1K Messages

11 days ago

@user_hzt6c2 

Not surprised. It's typical. Glad you got it squared away ! Thanks for the update ! I wonder how the original poster @user_i3alfq made out ?

(edited)

Expert

• 

104.1K Messages

9 days ago

Thread closed.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here