CM2050V T3 errors, Uncorrectables and disconnects
A couple of months ago I replaced my old reliable CM600 with the CM2050V so I could make full use of my 900Mbps plan. Since then, I have noticed that over the 32 Bonded Channels that I'm getting alot of Correctables and Uncorrectable each day, and the Error Log is showing alot of T3 and other errors. I can actually tell when this happens as I could be browsing or downloading and everything just stops for a minute or two. I've been replaced the older CommScope 2 Way splitter Comcast installed 5-6 years ago with a new one, but no difference.
Here is a copy of my Signal Strength and Error Log: