U

Contributor

• 

44 Messages

Saturday, August 19th, 2023 2:11 PM

Closed

Change wifi bandwidth for ring doorbell

My ring video doorbell pro has been assigned 2.4ghz and it is very slow at processing video.  I know how to access the router and have changed settings to 5ghz in past years, but can't find the info to follow to do this today.  Has xfinity stopped allowing customers to do this?  If not, could you please give me directions and if so, can you change it?

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

106.4K Messages

1 year ago

@user_9c0645 

Be advised that if you do buy / use an Xfinity WiFi extender pod(s), you will never be able to separate the bands. They require combined bands to be able to function.

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

106.4K Messages

1 year ago

@XfinityAirelle wrote; "the bands can be split."

Not if Xfinity Pods are being used. There are other third-party / retail brands of pods that don't require combined bands.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

1 year ago

Hello @user_9c0645, and thanks for reaching out for support on how to change Wi-Fi settings on our equipment. This link will walk you through how to adjust the settings https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password, and make sure to read all of it as some gateways have our newest "WiFi Intellegence" which means only the app will allow you to make changes to the setting, and not the admin tool. Hope this helps, and we are here if you have any other questions. 

Contributor

• 

44 Messages

@XfinityEricB​  Hi Eric B, I read the entire article and followed the "Notes" and, since I did not have option “2.4 & 5 GHz” appear, I must have "WiFi Intelligence" auto enabled.  Does that mean I can't change between the two?  Will it auto change based upon usage?

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

It auto changes based on distance. The doorbell may be in a bad spot in relation to the gateway, and that is why it's connecting to the 2.4 band because the 5.0 band is too weak. Are you able to get the gateway closer, or do you have any wifi expanders you can move near it to see if that helps? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

44 Messages

No, I do not.  Ring doorbell obviously outside of front door, but HP printer in same room is 2.4.  Some of our tablets used in family room are 2.4 while others are 5.  

So there is no manual way to change band?

If I buy an extender to use near front door, can I return it if it doesn't work to correct the band?  

Official Employee

• 

2K Messages

If you purchase the pods from us they can be returned within 30 days of the original purchase. You can buy them here: https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/wifi/xfi-pod 

Depending on the model of modem that you have, the bands can be split. You can learn more about that here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi

Please let us know if youhave additional questions! 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

1 year ago

One thing I've found with cameras in general is wired is always better, especially if you are trying for high resolution video.  You just aren't loading WiFi that way and are leaving it free for other use.  That always isn't possible.

If distance/location is a problem, a mesh network system will give you a bit more flexibility to move the remote units around where you need them to get them to network together more efficiently.  You can do it with wired access points too, but you are stringing Ethernet for them, and you have to plan that a bit.  You'll be hit and miss with extenders/repeaters, especially trying to move a lot of data and it won't solve that issue.  In the case of mesh networks or access points, you'll also be able to control the radios and channel/bandwidth selection if that's an issue.  You can't with your gear.

With all WiFi, one thing that can help if you are having issues?  Cut down on the camera resolution and frame rate you are trying to broadcast for a test, especially if you are trying to run full FHD 1080p or higher across a distance, or through construction materials.  See if you can find something acceptable in 720p or less in your camera settings and see if it helps. 

1 Message

10 months ago

So I have the ring doorbell and spotlight cam that supports dual band and both those now automatically connect to 5.0 which doesn’t work well with the ring cameras. I have terrible video now. It skips it doesn’t record continually it’s basically useless. Ring and Comcast can’t help me at all with how to have those two cameras connect to the 2.4 only.  I spent hours on the phone with each. I feel the only solution is to downgrade the ring cameras to the older versions … can anyone help. We just want to figure out how we can have them automatically connect to 2.4. We tried disconnecting and reconnecting. Didn’t work.  We halos rent the all in one modem router from xfinity.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hello @user_33dpd2, thank you for taking the time to reach out on social media.  I understand your concern with the cameras, and I'd like the opportunity to check into that for you.

To access your account, will you please send us a direct message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send your message
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here