S

Tuesday, December 12th, 2023 12:08 AM

Closed

Can't change wifi settings even in admin

I'm attempting to change the security settings on my home network to work with some of my devices. The app and website aren't allowing me any options for security mode except WPA2, which is not working for me. I attempted to change it directly through the admin service, but I can't change ANY of my Wi-Fi settings there, at all. It did give me the message:

"Wi-Fi Mode, Security Mode, Channel Selection, Channel Mode, and Channel Bandwidth are being managed automatically to help optimize your home Wi-Fi network and improve Wi-Fi coverage."

How do I change these settings? How do I turn off automatic management? Why would this ever be the way an internet service is run? Between this, having to update my password regularly, and constant connection issues in certain rooms, I am very close to just leaving Xfinity for good and finding another internet provider. 

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

10 months ago

Thanks for reaching out, Sorio99! You should be able to change the settings through the modem, app or cable box (if you have one). Here are some instructions https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password on how to do it. What happens when you try and do it?

2 Messages

1. Copying that link leads me to a 400 error page.

2. I wasn't asking about changing my password, I was asking about changing security settings, i.e. WPA2. 

3. Since posting this topic, I have found on other websites that what I want to do, which the website, modem, and app all make look possible is, in fact, not an option, and turning off automatic management (my main question) is impossible.

4. While I'm sure there is an Antoine behind this account, it's not a good look for you or Xfinity just how much this instantly reads as an automatic bot reply by the company. 

And in conclusion, I'm already leaving Xfinity, [Edited: Solicitation]

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

300 Messages

With some of the recent updates to xFi Advanced security, when connected via WiFi and attempting to connect to the admin tool, there will be limited functionality. If you are hardwired directly to the gateway, then type in the admin tool page: http://10.0.0.1 and sign in, the steps here should walk you through how to edit and change the security mode.

If you are looking to go a bit further and work with a DMZ and configure it to your desired settings for each device connected to your network and its functions, the steps to do so would be here, also while hardwired directly to the gateway to access the portal. Within that page are links to port triggering and port forwarding if you should need it. 

Please let me know if you were successful in making the desired changes Sorio99 at your earliest convenience.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

8 months ago

My biggest motivation to move out of my apartment is to be somewhere with different options other than Xfinity

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here