sparker01915's profile

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

Saturday, August 3rd, 2024 1:45 AM

Buffering Issues

Hello All,

I've been a customer for many many years mainly cause the cities I move to don't offer anything else.  I've been having this ongoing issue now for the longest time and it's really infuriating.  We're on the 1GB internet speed.  I subscribe to an IPTV service which if anyone know is Internet Protocol TV.  With that being said it was buffering when using it, I then figured it was the service so I tried another one, same thing.  It'll play a movie or tv show and then it'll say playback error and restart the stream, or just completely buffer.

I did make a change recently to the DNS servers that Comcast uses to Google's but it doesn't matter what I do, I just get buffering.

Anyone have any suggestions?  Is there a way to check for any firmware updates on the modem I am using with Comcast?  Am I better off getting my own?

I am running out of ideas here.

Thank You

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 months ago

Buffering is almost always caused by a problem with the connection between your device and Comcast. DNS would not be involved and firmware only very rarely.

Are you connecting via Wifi or Ethernet? If Wifi, it's best to switch to an Ethernet cable connection if possible for testing. That would allow you to determine whether the problem is the Wifi signal or the link between your modem or gateway and Comcast's network. Network connection problems that affect both Ethernet and Wifi devices are often due to poor coax connections or damaged coax cable, usually in or near your home. Running the cable through a surge protector, a defective splitter, or too many splitters can cause signal problems as well. If there is an amplifier in the line make sure it's getting power. 

If you want to troubleshoot this yourself, please see Internet Troubleshooting Tips. If you still need help, please post the following information from your modem or gateway (from http://192.168.100.1 or http://10.0.0.1):

• model number
  • uptime
  • downstream: power levels, SNR (or MER), and error counts for all channels
  • upstream: power levels for all channels
  • complete event log, if available (Be sure to remove or blot out any MAC addresses. Forum security processing considers them "personal information" and may prevent the event log from posting if these are present.)

Copy and pasted text is preferred over images. Be aware that, if you post any images, your message will be made Private for a time, as all images must be approved by the Forum Moderators before the messages containing them become generally visible.

If you can't find the problem or you'd rather have Comcast take care of it and an employee does not respond to your message here, call them at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or use one of the options on https://www.xfinity.com/support/contact-us/. It's not likely they can fix the problem remotely. If not, insist they send a tech out to identify the cause and correct it.

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit (approx $100) unless you have their Service Protection Plan ( https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/service-protection-plan, closed to customers that don't already have it). If the trouble is due to a faulty Comcast rental device or anything outside your home you shouldn't be charged.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

@BruceW​ I am most definitely connecting via Ethernet to my FireTV Cube.  I believe I am using standard Coax that was in the apartment when we moved in.  I'll check other things out when I get home this evening and report back

Official Employee

• 

737 Messages

sparker01915 Hello are you still having service issues?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

@BruceW​ 

• model number:  CGM4981COM
  • uptime: 19 days 10h: 56m: 22s
  • downstream: power levels, SNR (or MER), and error counts for all channels: Channel ID:  SNR 45.1 dB 45.3 dB 45.1 dB 45.1 dB  45.2 dB
    upstream: power levels for all channels Power Level  46.8 dBmV 46.0 dBmV 45.0 dBmV  44.3 dBmV 35.2 dBmV
  • complete event log, if available (Be sure to remove or blot out any MAC addresses. Forum security processing considers them "personal information" and may prevent the event log from posting if these are present.)[Wifi][8933]: KeyPassphrase Changed  2024/7/23 02:40:55 Notice
    [Wifi][8933]: WiFi radio radio3 is set to UP  2024/7/23 02:40:55 Notice
    [Wifi][8933]: WiFi radio radio1 is set to UP  2024/7/23 02:40:52 Notice
    [Wifi][8933]: WiFi radio radio1 is set to UP  2024/7/23 02:40:50 Notice
    [Wifi][8888]: KeyPassphrase Changed  2024/7/18 02:33:19 Notice
    [Wifi][8888]: WiFi radio radio3 is set to UP  2024/7/18 02:33:19 Notice
    [Wifi][8888]: WiFi radio radio1 is set to UP  2024/7/18 02:33:16 Notice
    [Wifi][8888]: WiFi radio radio1 is set to UP  2024/7/18 02:33:14 Notice
    OneWifi[8933]: config.utapi s_sysevent_connect: open new sysevent fd 91  2024/8/8 15:36:15 Notice 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

1 month ago

... model number:  CGM4981COM ...

That's an XB8 gateway. The signal information posted is incomplete and impossible to evaluate. Please post the requested information with complete channel IDs, frequencies, error counts, etc. There is no need to post the event log as it does not contain useful troubleshooting information in their rental gateways.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here