switters1974's profile

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

Wednesday, January 1st, 2020 6:00 PM

Closed

Bridge Mode on XB6 not working properly

I bought an ORBI wireless mesh system (RBK53) and am having trouble setting it up with my XB6. 

The XB6 must be put into Bridge Mode in order to use the Orbi as the router. I put the XB6 into Bridge Mode and then went through the setup process with Orbi. When I got to the screen in the Orbi app where Orbi looks for an internet connection, it said it wasn't receiving one. 

I called Netgear support and they had me connect my laptop directly to the XB6. I could not connect to the internet. Netgear said that this suggests there may be a problem with the XB6 hardware. 

As a possibly related side note, when the XB6 was in Bridge Mode, I connected my laptop to it via Ethernet and tried to login to the admin control panel to disable it. I tried both http://192.168.100.1 and http://10.0.0.1 and wasn't able to establish a connection to the XB6.  

I've seen a few other threads here where a similar problem has been reported. Just wondering if there's anything I can do about it on my end? Do I need a technician to come out, or is this something Xfinity could resolve on the phone?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

Are you using port 1? That’s the only active one during bridge mode.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

5 years ago

@switters1974 wrote:

I put the XB6 into Bridge Mode and then went through the setup process with Orbi. When I got to the screen in the Orbi app where Orbi looks for an internet connection, it said it wasn't receiving one. 

I called Netgear support and they had me connect my laptop directly to the XB6. I could not connect to the internet. ?

Did you power-cycle the XB6 when you did these ?

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

5 years ago

I believe I tried both ports. What's strange is that Xfinity's own support article on how to enable Bridge Mode says you can plug your router into either Ethernet port after enabling it. 

Which is Port 1? Is that on the left? 

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

5 years ago

Yes, that is part of the instructions to install the Orbi. And then I power cycled at least twice more. 

Any idea why I'm not able to log in to the router control panel when I'm connected directly via Ethernet? 

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

5 years ago

Yes, that was one of the issues I was having. The other was that I wasn't getting internet from either of the ports. 

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for posting this. I have had this same issue. It's very frustrating because I had my own brand new Arris 3.1 modem with new velop 6600 system and do not want to broadcast Xfinity. Not because I hate Xfinity but because I live in a culdesac (with a culdesac behind it) and there are already too many channels being used for wifi. It's horrible. I tried this same setup with bridge mode. I could not get the internet out of the XB6. But i believe i was only trying to right port it shows as the port to use in the manual. I didn't even think to try the left. I wonder if it would work. I called Xfinity and the girl had no clue what i was telling her, how i wanted to use my own router and that it had its own DHCP server built-in so i wanted to only use bridge mode on the XB6 for unlimited data. She told me it wasn't possible and that Velop is not a compatible router. She had me recycle power a few times, and never mentioned the other port.  So for now i am bridging my velop, but my speeds dropped going this route. Im on 600Mbs and i get 200Mbs wirelessly now. When i was using my Arris Modem with Velop router i had 500-700mbs wirelessly. If i connect direct or hard wired to the XB6 over my switches i get 700mbs. So you think the left jack might be the answer? 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here