Ms_JSBNow's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, April 7th, 2021 5:29 PM

Closed

Block Hackers Getting Into My Network

4.7.21 - Good afternoon. I want to know HOW to BLOCK hackers from getting into my network? Since 3.14.21 when they took it down by modifying McAfee drivers [yes, it was horrible], I've renamed the router, changed its PW and the WI-Fi PW at least 3 times. When I see them in xFi by the system telling me I have 'new devices' that don't belong to me, all I can do is to [a] pause them, [b] refresh my screen, then [c] go back and 'forget them.' Unfortunately, that only helps for a while.

When the major hack happened, I got rid of the McAfee and got Norton 360. I let their techs AND Xfinity techs both get on my system to see if they could fix everything. The Norton folks were great, and we found on the Xfinity router website that there was a device that was offline. So, my question became how could I take them out? In other words, they weren't showing on the xFi app or connecting via the website, but showing on the router's website [you know, 10.0.0.1]. I also asked how can I block the extra IP addresses, as I will only have a given number of devices to connect. I figured all the rest can be blocked, and that would also keep anyone out unless I granted access.

When I called back, Xfinity tech support told me that I couldn't take him out. All I could do is what I already did, or add them to a parental thing and limit their access. Don't use the parental thing, I don't need it. They also said I could not block my extra 200+ IP addresses that the router possesses. That was the stupidest response I've ever heard, after many years of sourcing and building networks myself. I've seen it done, but I guess I was in control of the server at the time... Maybe not so much when the server belongs to someone else. Today, I was online w/two devices. About 10, 15 mins. later, xFi told me there were NO devices connected even tho I was still online. I did a reset and so far, it's alright. But why would it say that in the first place? 

So, Community - is there someone out there who knows how to correct these matters? I'll be changing the router name and PW as soon as my class is over later today. But when I walk away, I disconnect the router, period until I sit back down. It's crazy. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Ms. J. S. Butler

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

Hello and thank you for taking the time to reach out to us here on our Xfinity Forums! I'm truly sorry to hear that you are experiencing so many issues with others connecting to your Wi-Fi. I've had the experience myself and it's not pleasant. Typically when you pause a device you won't want to forget it from your network with the xFi app. Have you already tried changing the network name and password? This link will walk you through how to change them: https://comca.st/3fXZp0v

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

3 years ago

Thread moved here to the proper help section.

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

3 years ago

@KINGYSB wrote: "or google "what is my IP address?" and copy & and paste your ip address in your browser to get to your modem access panel/gateway (it will look something like this http://youripaddress"

FWIW, sites like that get one their public / WAN IP address, not their LAN / equipment access private IP address.

(edited)

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

3 years ago

One would need to go directly to a site like those for that function;

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

It not relevant in the context that it was used for because it will not reveal a LAN / private IP address...

You can not obtain a private LAN / IP address from a remote WAN site like them. Private IP addresses are non- internet routable.

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

3 years ago

Doesn't work here to get me into the device's U.I..... N.M...... This is for another time and place, not here. Let's please discontinue muddying the original poster's topic, thanks.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here