Rousing Reactor
Articulate
Expressive Exchange

Contributor

• 

41 Messages

Fri, Dec 25, 2020 9:00 AM

Being Throttled?

I had a high data usage month this month as I reconfigured my storage devices on my Mac and hence my Backblaze offline backups.  We're supposed to get 1.2TB of data each month.  I have not gone near that in the last 12 months but this month, I'm at 1.5TB because of backing up a lot of data. My modem went through a reset this morning not of my doing and now it seems like my download speeds have been drastically throttled down to 5-10Mbps instead of the 150+Mbps I expect.  Supposedly if I have not gone over the 1.2TB in the last 12 months, xFinity gives me a 1 month free overage.  But do they start to throttle at some point?  My backups are now done?  Am I stuck waiting for Jan. 1 to reset my data usage?  Ideas?

Responses

BruceW

Gold Problem Solver

• 

22.4K Messages

6 m ago

@kentmcpherson wrote: ... if I have not gone over the 1.2TB in the last 12 months, xFinity gives me a 1 month free overage. ...

Correct. See https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-plan

... do they start to throttle at some point? ...

No.

... Am I stuck waiting for Jan. 1 to reset my data usage? ...

Essentially yes. Usage resets to zero between 4pm and 8pm on the last day of each calendar month.

Contributor

• 

41 Messages

6 m ago

Well I talked to xFinity today and yes, they do put me on a lower priority list, ie. throttle me down.  If I'd known that ahead of time, I'd have made different decisions on my cloud backup strategy.  Anyway, I opted to pay $30/month for unlimited data knowing I could turn that off in 8 days after the new month started.  After getting through that and getting confirmation that the provisioning for that was done, I reset my modem and still have terrible download speeds. I waited and tried reseting the modem again with no luck. I called back to xFinity and tech support said it looked like there were problems on my line and would have to have a tech come out to trouble shoot.  Before they throtttled me down, everything was fine.  Now I can't get back up and have to have a tech come tomorrow.  Makes no sense.  xFinity needs to update their documentation because a courtesy month of going over 1.2TB without having had any overages in 12 months doesn't really exist.  They may not charge you for the added data but they slow you down so your internet is almost unusable. 

Contributor

• 

41 Messages

6 m ago

So even after upgrading to unlimited data and getting my line reprovisioned, my speeds never came back up. Finally called Comcast back and they checked things quickly and said there was a problem on my line and needed to send a tech out.  Everything was working before it slowed down and now they needed to send a tech.  The tech came this morning. He was very nice and spent about 3 hours here.  No serious line problems were found. He got on the phone with Dispatch and they tried a couple things with no success.  The Dispatch guy said they need to try swapping my Arris cable modem for a Comcast modem. And guess what?  The speeds went back up! Their explanation was my cable modem must have gone bad which I highly doubt.  I'm going to wait till Jan 1 and then have them reprovision my modem replacing theirs and see what happens. Just too coincidental in timing.

MVV331

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

6 m ago

I had problems had a tech come out replaced all the lines, the speed was great then when the night comes it's slow. It's really disappointing and feels like they are throttling the speed. I was fine for years until this December when something changed where I had to get a tech here and even after everything looked great to him and replacements of lines and splitters were done, things are still bad. No noise on the line or anything. 

New to the Community?

Start Here