MikeEldridge's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, January 5th, 2021 4:00 PM

Closed

Adding a second modem/router

This may be a simple question but I didn't see an obvious answer when I searched for one. The cable jacks in my house are on one end of the house or the other on separate floors. I have the Xfinity supplied modem/router in my office on one end of the house but I would like a better signal in my media room in the basement on the other end of the house. Can I add a second modem/router and have two independent networks where I can connect devices to one or the other depending on their location?

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

4 years ago

Check out Richard Lloyd on YouTube, he explains a few different ways to accomplish this, he rambles on a bit

Expert

• 

106K Messages

4 years ago

@MikeEldridge wrote:

Can I add a second modem/router and have two independent networks where I can connect devices to one or the other depending on their location?

You can't have 2 straight cable modems or 2 combo modem / router gateway devices (as you stated) at 1 residence.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Is it possible to run a second modem to a separate office built in the backyard?  The wifi does not work well so far from the house.  Would this work?  I need to solve for poor wifi connection in the office.  

This reply has been converted into a post

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.3K Messages

4 years ago

Good morning, MikeEldridge. Thanks for posting! EG is correct that we aren't able to have two modems on one account. If you have concerns with your connectivity at a distance, we would recommend looking into our xFi pods: https://comca.st/38S9sjL. Let us know what other questions you have!

Expert

• 

106K Messages

3 years ago

5-month-old dead thread now being closed.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here