KingSparky's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Thursday, February 4th, 2021 1:00 PM

Closed

Add second router to add VPN capability

I had this setup before. The Xfi box is not letting my router connect all the way to the internet. Help.

Xfi - Asus VPN - home network

Expert

• 

104.5K Messages

3 years ago

If you are hanging a stand-alone / separate router off of the gateway device, and the gateway is not in *bridge mode*, you are cascading 2 routing devices which results in an undesirable "double NAT" condition on your home network.

Google "double NAT" for info about its potential pitfalls.

You really should put it in to bridge mode. Here's how;

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode

Expert

• 

104.5K Messages

3 years ago

@mopace39 wrote:

If you put the gateway into bridge mode then you lose the routing capabilites on the gateway, correct?

Correct.

If so, then how to you extend your VPN? Do you have to buy another router?

Not sure what you mean by "extend" ?

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

If you put the gateway into bridge mode then you lose the routing capabilites on the gateway, correct? If so, then how to you extend your VPN? Do you have to buy another router?

Contributor

• 

93 Messages

3 years ago

Double NAT is only an issue with port forwarding, unless you are running servers from you home I wouldn't worry about it.  The only other issue is if you use the wifi on the gateway you can't get to other devices hung off the second router.  I have my nighthawk hung off my xFi it works great as it's wifi i much better than the xfi unless using wifi6 in the same room,  plus I now have 3 spare gigabit network ports for internet only devices.

Expert

• 

104.5K Messages

3 years ago

FWIW, it can break some other applications, as well as causing some undesirable network complications...

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

My current Xfi gateway's wifi only reaches half of my house so I wanted to add a second router that broadcasts wifi to accomondate the other half of my house. I've tried the pods and they are not working due to distance of eletrical outlets. 

I understand that the devices on the second routers network will not communicate with those on the Xfi network, but that is ok. 

If I put the xfi gateway in bridgemode then I loose that network. Do I have to purchase yet another router to replace the Xfi routing capabilities?

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

I think you might want to configure the second router as a repeater

Expert

• 

104.5K Messages

3 years ago

Wonder how the original poster is making out ?

Contributor

• 

93 Messages

3 years ago

If you can't get the pods, the you can add a router and either deal with the Double NAT(not really that big a deal), Put the Xfi in Bridge mode and lose it's abilitys, or as mentioned if your router supports it, put it in bridge or externer mode.  Depending on the router you may or may not be able to use the LAN ports on the router when in externder/bridge mode(Not an issue with Double NAT)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here