tbill1's profile

Contributor

• 

646 Messages

Tuesday, July 2nd, 2024 9:01 PM

Activating a replacement modem

I will be replacing my self owned modem with a new model in a few days.

I am unsure of the order to activate. I know to use the app to activate, but do 

I activate the new modem first , get up and running and then delete the old modem.

And will the app prompt how to do that deletion? Or do I have to delete the old modem first?

And if that is the case, how do I do that?

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

4 months ago

Hey @tbill1, thanks for reaching out to Xfinity Support on our forums. That's a great question and I don't think there will be an option to delete the old modem until it isn't active. You'll need to activate the new one first then it will give that option. If you run into any problems though, we are here to help. I'll follow up with you in a couple of days on this thread to make sure everything is working well. I hope you enjoy the new equipment! 

Contributor

• 

646 Messages

HI Nicolas,

I won't be doing the activation until July 15.. I do have another question.

I am going to be activating an Arris Surfboard. The description mentions using their

app to go through the activation process. Can I assume I bypass their app and do everything

on the Xfinity app?

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

tbill1 you'll probably need to do both. Activating it through us gets it added to your account and we send the signals/settings it needs for it to work on our network. Their activation gets the modem ready and gets it so you can customise settings if need be. You'll want to do the Xfinity one first so the modem can connect to the internet while doing their activation.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

646 Messages

If I don't want to customize it, is there anything else I would need their app for to get it "modem ready" I would prefer not to 

have to use their app If I don't need to. I just want to be up and running with Xfinity. Also, if I have trouble with the new modem,

and have to reinstall my old one, is there anywhere I can look now, where it shows all the information that I could write down(Mac addresses, etc.) that I would need to input again?

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

tbill1 I definitely get it, there are a lot of apps out there. Looking at one of their user manuals, I'm not seeing anything specifically saying you need to activate it their there app but it is a feature. It should work just doing it through ours. You'll still see the old modem in our app and you can switch back to it if need be. However, if you do run into issues, you can just send us a direct message and we can help. It may just be as simple as us needing to send a signal or something to get the new one working that way you don't have to go back to the old one if it isn't needed. I'll post the instructions below on how to direct message us in case you need it. 

To send a direct message:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct messaging" icon near the top right of the page

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

646 Messages

Thank you Nicholas..will the DM invite still be valid on July 15?  So I don't have to delete

the old modem off the app? If the new one breaks 3 months from now  it would be convenient

if I can easily switch back  to the old one, so at least I don't have any extended down time.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here