W

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, May 13th, 2024 3:20 PM

wired connection speed slower than plan speed

I am connecting with cat5e cables. I am using the TP-Link TC7650 DOCSIS 3.0 (24x8) High Speed Cable Modem. Max Download Speeds Up to 1000Mbps. Certified for Comcast XFINITY, Spectrum, Cox, and More. I am using the NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router (R7000) with 4 gigabit Ethernet ports. I am paying for 1000MBbps but the max I have seen is 700Mbps. Is there an issue with the power from the street to my house? I have no other items plugged into my cable. I have no TV boxes and no other Modems. Why is my speed so much slower than what I am paying for? Should I just pay less and drop down to Xfinity Superfast and save $20?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 months ago

... I am using the TP-Link TC7650 ... I am paying for 1000MBbps ...

The device is not rated for Gigabit service. See the "All Compatible Devices" link near the bottom of https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices (at the moment it points to https://assets.xfinity.com/assets/dotcom/projects/cix-4997_compatible-devices/2024.04.03%20Full%20List%20of%20Compatible%20Devices.pdf, but this changes from time to time). There, Comcast rates the TC7650 for speeds "Up to 840 Mbps". Using devices on Internet speed tiers for which they are not approved tends to produce unexpected results, often speeds well below the ones you are paying for. 

Consider picking up one of the devices that is approved for Gigabit service, or dropping back to a lower tier.

Realize that although Comcast calls some devices "Approved" and some "Recommended", for all but a few devices those designations only mean "approved/recommended for use with their Internet service", and not necessarily approved for your plan speed.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

The unit is a 1Gigabit device, why does it only go up to 840 Mbps on Xfinity?

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Also if it is 840 Mbps why am I seeing a max of 700 usually closer to 600?

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 months ago

I would like 1 gig but I want to be sure I will get that before spending the money on a new modem. Why do you think I am getting around 600Mbps with a max of 700Mbps with a modem that states it is 1000 Mbps and Xfinity states is 840 Mbps? Shouldn't I at least be getting closer to 840 Mbps, not 600 Mbps average? What proof do I have that upgrading to an ARRIS Surfboard S33 for example with 2.5 Gbps I will actually get 1000 Mpbs?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 months ago

The unit is a 1Gigabit device, why does it only go up to 840 Mbps on Xfinity?

I don't know. Comcast has never said. But the speeds manufacturers claim are typically theoretical or lab-bench speeds you'll never see in the real world.

Also if it is 840 Mbps why am I seeing a max of 700 usually closer to 600?

We tend to think that if Comcast rates a device for a given speed, it should work at that speed if used on a higher speed tier, but that's not what happens. Unapproved devices always run slower than Comcast's rating. Again, they've never explained how they provision unapproved devices, so we don't know why the speeds are lower.

... What proof do I have that upgrading to an ARRIS Surfboard S33 for example with 2.5 Gbps I will actually get 1000 Mpbs?

None. All you have is the statement the only devices approved for Gigabit service will deliver Gigabit service, and that devices not approved will not.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 months ago

I replaced my TP-Link modem with the ARRIS Surfboard S33 and saw no speed improvement. Xfinity it would be great if you would chime in here and suggest what the issue might be.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@WeyldFalcon - Thanks for the update! I'm sorry to hear you're still facing some speed concerns. What troubleshooting have you attempted so far? We have these Connection Troubleshooting Tips that I highly recommend. Please let me know if you notice anything within that article that helps, or if you're still seeing slower speeds after running through the recommended troubleshooting, and our Digital Care Team is here to help however we can!

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here