U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, August 23rd, 2022 6:37 PM

Closed

Streaming Recordings display in POSTAGE STAMP (BLACK BARS ON ALL SIDES)

All the recordings I make of tv programs playback in POSTAGE STAMP (BLACK BARS ON ALL SIDES) even when ‘Full Screen’ is selected. I use a laptop only to watch xfinity live tv. In addition, if I watch a program while I’m recording it, it also displays in postage stamp. If I watch that program while NOT recording it, it displays in full screen. And some programs display postage stamp even when not recording it. I also tested this while running xfinity on a Roku stick and the behavior is the same. Is there setting somewhere I am missing or is the way xfinity recordings just work, in postage stamp? Which would be disappointing.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

2 years ago

It sounds like you are recording a 420p resolution, or worse.

Trying to watch it in HD or 4k would make the resulting picture smaller.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I appreciate the response. But to repeat I am using livestream on my laptop. My laptop screen resolution is 1920x1080. I did switch the CW channel to ‘HD’ channel and that did fix that channel for watching. Interestingly though taking NBC as example it did not matter if I used the HD channel or the non-HD channel, both display full screen when full screen selected.

But back to recording.  There is no option to set the resolution for a recording When you watch a channel this is an option for Low, High or Auto. But this has no impact for the recording. Again, as soon as I select to record a program, and then while recording it I watch it, the program displays in a postage stamp display. And the recording, when I play it back, is in postage stamp.

I’m starting to think this is just a defect in the xfinity recording service. But I’m surprised no one else has mentioned it which why I was wondering if I was doing something wrong.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

2 years ago

Unfortunately, Comcast now converts any 1080i channels like NBC, ABC, etc. to a 720p signal. How the local channel sends the signal to Comcast may affect the picture. Some newer tv's may correct the problem.  The picture is always better when watching 1080i channels over the air with an antenna.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here