sandyandy's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 10:00 AM

Closed

ROKU, HBO GO

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Yes, PLEASE! We want to watch HBO GO with our Roku! Please make it happen.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Y'all are posting in English.  That's a problem.  Corporations only understand Money.  Our posts here sound like adults in a Charlie Brown cartoon to them.  Here are a couple things you can do that Comcast will understand:

Cancel your TV subscription.  I just did this myself.  Comcast is betting you won't do this because of their stranglehold on the content (not only HBO) that you want to watch.  OTH, after using Roku for a few months, I found that I only watched Comcast TV for an hour or two a week -- definitely not getting $20~40 per hour of entertainment from Comcast TV.

Get Comcast's easements revoked in your area.  Working on this myself.  This is both harder and easier than it sounds, but it's worth investigating -- especially if Comcast has a monopoly in your area, like it does in mine.  Even something as small as writing an email to your town council can help.

Convince streamer manufacturers to pressure HBO, perhaps even to the point of naming HBO in their lawsuits against Comcast.  HBO is FAR from innocent.  There is no need for them to assist Comcast in blocking Roku, yet they are doing just that.  That proves collusion and makes HBO equally guilty.  This problem would vanish if HBO refused help cable providers block Roku.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I can get netflix thru my TIVO

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I just got off the phone with RUKU...the worst customer service. Well actually Comcast is the very worst. But, they could not give me an answer as to why Comcast is not listed as a cable provider for premium channels. It renders the unit useless.

There should be a disclaimer on the box the "this unit will not work with xyz calbe systems". 

Where is the customer service anymore?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.5K Messages

10 years ago

Hardly useless Roku can do a lot more then just show content from a cable provider. Have you considered ordering Netflix, Hulu plus or Amazon prime just to name a few.

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

10 years ago

HBO is not "blocking" comcast subscribers.  HBO would love you to watch on Roku -- BUT they want to verify that you are a paying subscriber -- they (or a Roku proxy) do that by interfacing with the cable provider's database and checking that you are a paid up HBO subscriber.  If Comcast does not cooperate - HBO/Roku cannot do this authorization check.  So it is almost certainly the case that the fault lies with Comcast -- afterall, nearly every other Cable company works with HBO Go on Roku.

Now you may ask, why doesn't HBO just offer their services "over the top" w/o regard to whether or not you subscribe via your local Cable Company...    Technically HBO could do that, just like Netflix.  BUT they've got contracts and agreements with nearly every Cable Company -- even if they re-negotiated those or let them all run out -- they'd be cutting off their major source of revenue.... Roku people who want HBO and would be willing to pay extra for it are a tiny faction of HBOs audience.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I do subscribe to HBO thru Comcast in another city. I know it's Comcast and now RUKU, but I do think they neeed a disclaimer on the box...it's just good customer service.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Not sure exactly what "RUKU" is, maybe a chinese knock off of a "Roku"? But why should a device put a disclaimer on a box due to BS from Comcast?

What I think you ment to say is, "why didn't Comcast tell you HBO Go won't work on a Roku" when you signed up for it.

I just got my Roku in and discovered this limitaion of Comcast. Oh well, guess it's time to fully cut my cable from them. I'd rather give my money to Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu Plus.... Yes, I know Hulu is partly owned by Comcast, but a few pennies being pushed their way is better than what I pay now.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

+1 for authentication for HBO GO app on the Roku. It's really frustrating to pay for content every month and not be able to access it on the devices we want to.

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

10 years ago

Nutz is the word. This is the single greatest tool providers have to keep customers. Instead of being worried about loosing 10 bucks on a box rental they are willing to risk loosing the 100-250 bucks a month people are paying for the actual content.

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

10 years ago

But Comcast/Roku/Espn all play together.  If the world were consistent we would have Comcast/Roku/HBO.  Somebody is nuts here!

New Poster

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Dear Comcast:

Please embrace innovation and try to resist the attraction of short-term gains through exercising restrictive access for streaming content.  We pay you to have access to HBO GO.  We do this willingly so we can watch it.  We don't expect you to restrict the platform or to search through web forums to understand what is and is not allowed.  We certainly don't like trying to register our device to find out that Comcast is not a participant (it is particularly troubling when the list of participants is VERY long.. RCN and Verizon are both participants).  I ask again that you please embrace innovation and try to be a company that has a future rather than only a label of "resistant to change". 

As you currently treat customers, nobody would use you if you did not have a near monopoly in some markets.  Instead of living out these final years as an increasingly outdated residual of cable from the 90's, you have the chance to be nimble and innovative.  Please choose the latter and, in a gesture of sincerity, allow Roku users to watch content that they already pay for.  It serves your interests as much as ours.

All the best,

Any user of your service (seriously...  all of us)

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

I think it's similar to the "Pay us money or our customers suffer" junk Comcast pulled on Netflix. Roku is a smaller company and can't afford to bribe Comcast for HBO Go support, not yet at least. Microsoft, Apple and Google all paid up, and so Comcast supports HBO Go on those platforms, but they're huge companies and that's for numerous platforms. It also seems that neither Sony nor Samsung have paid up.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Wow...42 pages of discussion on Roku & HBO Go!!  Really??  That's concerning as apparently the issue has not yet been resolved.

I love my Rokus...have one for every TV in our house and, believe me, we have flirted with the idea of just having internet since we spend most of our time on the Roku. 

I guess I should preface this with the fact that we just "switched back" to Comcast after leaving them for Verizon FiOS over 2 years ago...as back then, Comcast internet was terribly unreliable.  Now, they are claiming to have fiber optic cable and a faster internet speed than Verizon offers.  So, we're trying them out for the next 30 and will see if what they claim is true.

So, part of the deal was getting HBO for the next 13 months. Which I thought, "cool, now we can actually use our HBO Go channel on our Roku".

(Sigh) I suppose I should start making a list of pros and cons for switching back to Comcast...this being at the top of the cons.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Same here, they offered HBO GO to stay in Comcast, and all I have is a Roku. Their support staff don't even know it is not compatible.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here