sandyandy's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 10:00 AM

Closed

ROKU, HBO GO

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

10 years ago

Netflix is great, but it doesn't have HBO content, which is what all these folks in this thread are after, esp since they pay Comcast for it in full.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Give that idea up, as you can unfortunately see that ppl on this thread have been saying the same thing for YEARS. Use Netflix instead. Cheaper and easier. Can't believe I just discovered Netflix!

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

While I wish to see HBO on roku just as badly, I see no point sitting and complaining anymore. This thread started in 2011 without a solution! I see the remaining alternatives to be: 1. Get HBO elsewhere, or 2. Choose another movie channel, or 3. Change my opinion (and access Comcast HBO as Comcast dictates).

New Poster

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hello,

I recently bought a Roku box, only to find out later that Comcast does not support HBO Go on the Roku box, while other providers do. Will this support ever come? I'm thinking about switching from Comcast because of this.

Thanks!

Regular Contributor

• 

280 Messages

10 years ago

Not in the near future. I purchased a TiVo mini, which has access to HBO channels and HBO on demand. But as my only premium option is Comcast ATM, HBO go is relegated to my ipad2.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I just got a Roku and was going to subscribe to HBO on Comcast so that I could access HBO Go.  If I can't get HBO Go on my Roku, there's simply no point to my subscribing.  The regular HBO schedule, even with On Demand, just isn't worth it to me.  Guess I'll just stick with Netflix and save my money...

New Poster

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Don't understand why Comcast won't offer HBO Go through Roku unless there is a payment required by Comcast. You have to be a subscriber to HBO through yiur cable provider to access HBO Go, so we are already paying Comcast for HBO Go . Does Comcast have to pay Roku to allow Comcast customers to use HBO Go? Maybe Comcast thinks the HBO On Demand list is the same as HBO Go (we know it isn't, and that is another story). So, I use my Belkin screencast to mirror my kindle hdx display onto my TV and watch HBO Go that way. Roku would be better.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Well, even if there is some licensing costs going on between Comcast and HBO, that doesn't explain why only Roku access is affected.  You can get to HBO Go as a Comcast subscriber in other ways, like apparently on the Xbox (I don't have one, but I've heard) and I think on the HBO website.

The only reason Comcast gets into the picture at all is because that's how HBO checks if you're a paying subscriber.  So why on Earth, we may wonder, doesn't Comcast want to do that check for Roku, but they will for other platforms?  It's a mystery.  Roku has the technology, Comcast has the technology, but maybe the way Roku does it's checks is incompatible with the way other devices do, and Comcast is the holdout, doesn't want to tweak things just for Roku?  Because, you know, there's only a handful of Roku customers, right? 🙂

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

i am trying to understand why i cannot get hbogo using my roku device. i pay for hbo thru comcast.

reading the posts it appears comcast does not respond to these posts. now why would comcast and roku not respond.  lol

Contributor

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

Right - it's got to be the latter (issues with either HBO in some cases or Comcast in others) since apparently TiVo doesn't have HBOGo at all?

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

10 years ago

Not the latter, the former: They want you to use your cable box for your TV. TiVo competes with Comcast DVR service and Roku competes with their HD service.

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

10 years ago

No technical reason that Comcast cannot authenticate HBO on the Roku. The authentication happens on the HBO servers accessing Comcast to check if your authorized for HBO. It works for Android and others so the issue is Comcast either doesn't want you to use any device other than your cable box on your TV or just doesn't care. I suspect the former.

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

You know, Roku has been doing a lot lately to update the Roku 3 - an excellent device since launch, but a bit outdated. With the newer Hulu updates, the massive Netflix overhaul, and today's addition of YouTube, I wouldn't be surprised if Roku wasn't working on this again.

We'll see.

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

10 years ago

Except I don't think it is Roku preventing Comcast HBO Go on the Roku. HBO Go works on the Roku, the Roku just needs to be authenticated by HBO which they can do. Roku does not know anything about the cable provider. HBO needs to authenticate with Comcast which they do for other devices.

Frequent Visitor

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

I just send Tom the following message.  If we keep bombarding them, someone is going to have to take notice.

RE: HBOGO on Roku

Dear Tom:
Despite nearly 1700 posts in the forum over the last two years on this issue (not to mention thousands more on other - HBO, Roku, etc - on other forums, nothing is being done about this. My HBO subscription includes HBOGO. I don't want to watch it on my 4" phone screen, and I don't want to watch it on my 19" PC screen. I want to watch it on my 50" HDTV screen. I see no reason why I can't, other than Comcast's pigheadedness on the matter. Please don't give me the "Our engineers and programmers are working diligently to make our service more compatible with all multimedia devices available today like the Roku and Smart Phone/TVs." spiel. It took most other cable companies no time at all to get on board. I am seriously considering just keeping my high speed internet with you, and going back to Dish Network for my TV. I'd probably save some money, too...  I'd really like an HONEST answer to this issue.

Sincerely,
Mark Kissel
Portage, PA

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here