janice805's profile

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

Tuesday, November 16th, 2021 7:56 PM

Closed

PAUSE LIVE TV ???

I've been evaluating and comparing all TV services against one another (satellite, cable, and streaming).  While I'm almost there with Xfinity (for various reasons) there's one big problem.  On the X1 box I can PAUSE Live TV.  When watching TV on my other sets using Xfinity Stream, I CANNOT PAUSE LIVE TV.  That's huge for me.  Is it a setting I'm missing or what?  So far, most all streaming TV services can pause live TV. 

???

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

3 years ago

Xfinity people.  Please respond.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

looking for a response here too

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

i agree.  odd that the xfinity stream app on my samsung tv is able to.

Problem Solver

• 

368 Messages

2 years ago

The Xfinity Stream app and stream website do not have the option to pause live TV. That includes the Stream app on Samsung TV's, LG, Roku, Fire sticks etc. The X1 boxes have this functionality with a DVR.

To be able to do this, Xfinity would need to store the paused data in the cloud. It would be impossible to do this on most streaming devices, or TV's. They don't have enough storage to handle that amount of cached data.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@DreamSayerZ 

I disagree.  The stream app on my Samsung tv has that ability.  Most other streaming apps have this functionality, hbo, peacock, etc. 

Problem Solver

• 

368 Messages

@user_d365ae I disagree also. I have a Samsung TV. I cannot pause "live tv" with the Xfinity Stream app. I have a Roku and cannot pause "live tv" with the Xfinity Stream app. Live TV means you are watching a broadcast network channel. Like ABC, FOX, NBC, CBS etc. Or the other channels included with your cable tv package. Not an On Demand or previously "aired" program that Xfinity has saved/available for you to watch. That's different.

Apps such as HBO, Peacock, Disney+ are NOT "live tv" apps. You cannot watch your local TV channels with them. The ability to pause, rewind and fast forward is available because movies/programs are already stored on their servers.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

842 Messages

Thank you for bringing this all to my attention! I had to go check out my Smart TV and the Stream app on my phone and the "Live TV" settings, do not allow me to pause, unless I am in the process of recording the show. Peacock is not Live TV streaming, but you can subscribe to have it without ads. HBO/HBOMax has a lot of On Demand and that you can normally pause without an issue. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@XfinityKimberlyB​ you can't pause, rewind or fast forward live events even if it's being recorded. All the other streaming services have this capability. YouTube TV does I had it. Hulu live, playstation Vue, were all able to do it. It's not a deal breaker for me but it is frustrating not being able to rewind to a part or play I missed. Video quality has gotten somewhat better but I'm hoping with time Xfinity can drop the beta moniker.

Problem Solver

• 

735 Messages

@user_d5e5ab

To clarify, recorded playback can be paused but not necessarily the live program in the process of being recorded. Once it is saved, you will have that option. Have you tried this to be sure that it works?

I no longer work for Comcast. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

YouTube TV, Hulu live and Sling ALL ALLOW THIS and you do not need to be recording! You can rewind to the point when you started watching that channel/program even if not DVR'ing. YouTube TV is my current provider mostly because they have free unlimited DVR! It's great. Others were fine, sling had few issues, hulu was fine, YouTube tv was a trial and we've stayed with so far. My folks are leaving xfinity now because of this 1 thing! Unreal that for $220/month for basic tv/ phone/ cheapest internet you guys can't put in a bit of effort into your new streaming app to keep people happy. Plus T-Mobile just started home wifi in our rural area, so there's finally not a monopoly on the wifi any longer! $50/month for great speeds and free Ooma voice for their beloved 'home phone' they must have. And no rental fees!! Comcast/xfinity will lose a lot more than it it would've cost them to simply upgrade their app to allow basic skills like pausing live TV and lowering prices to encourage loyalty. Pausing live TV isn't hard in this day and age, heck even my 4 year old car radio has that ability! Lazy and greedy is about the only excuse I can think of. They're heading the way of the dinosaurs, alá directv. 

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I've been using Hulu Live for awhile now and though they claim you shouldn't be able to rewind or start live shows from the beginning, usually I'm able to. I'm very used to doing this on the few live shows I watch but I'm tired of their rates going up and have decided to try xfinity stream since I'm using their internet already. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything since I normally use my Fire tablet to watch but unfortunately it looks like this is the way it is. I'm not sure if I can get used to that. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here