BIslander's profile

Problem Solver

• 

354 Messages

Wednesday, July 24th, 2024 6:08 PM

Olympics Enhanced 4K

Stream is supposed to provide USA4K Ch 1350 in Dolby Vision and Atmos.  I get the channel on two streaming devices - Fire Cube 3 and Roku Ultra.  But, the video, while output as DV, is dull, looking very much like SDR.  And the audio output is only stereo.  I'm getting 4K HDR that is bright, sharp, and colorful on my X1 DVR with Atmos audio.  Is 4K Enhanced limited to specific Stream apps/devices?

Contributor

• 

65 Messages

1 month ago

That's interesting. Please follow up if you can figure out what's going on. Does Xfinity have an app for Google TV or Android TV Boxes yet? 

Problem Solver

• 

354 Messages

1 month ago

@Xfinity - posts at various sites online say the Stream app doesn't even do 5.1 yet.   The most recent of them that I saw was from just a few months ago.  I only get 2.0 from the Stream app on a Fire Cube 3 and a Roku Ultra.  If you don't do 5.1, how can you do Atmos, which is being promoted as a feature of Enhanced 4K on Xfinity Stream?  Please advise.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hey @BIslander, Thank you for visiting our official Xfinity Forums Community support page. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience regarding the Paris 2024 Olympic games. I would be more than happy to offer my assistance looking into this further for you.

Xfinity is proud to bring every minute, every medal, and every moment of inspiration from Team USA and the Olympic and Paralympic Games Paris 2024. Xfinity customers' can watch every moment of the Olympic and Paralympic Games starting July 26 on X1, Xfinity Stream app, NOW TV, Peacock, Xumo Stream Box, and Xfinity Flex. 

In order to receive enhanced 4K and sound, you would need an eligible X1 set-top box. You would be unable to access enhanced audio and visual with the Xfinity Stream App.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

I have an eligible X1 set-top box and the 4k image has about the same resolution as an HD broadcast, and the colors are significantly muted as compared to HD. Just another swing and a miss by Xfinity. Would complain but it does not good. 

Problem Solver

• 

354 Messages

@jo_albert I have two XG1v4 4K boxes and one of the has dropped back to washed out SDR on the USA4K channel a couple of times.   Restarting the box has fixed it every time.

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

My Sony A90J does not autoswitch to correct HDR color setting, when tuning the SG1v4 box to 1350 or 3814, regardless of "Picture Mode" the Sony picks, and even though Sony's HDR Mode=Auto.

So 4k initially looks flat, washed out, low contrast (typical for ungraded log profile.)
I have to go into the Sony's Picture Settings/Video Signal/HDR Mode: HDR10 (versus Auto.) Looks good (for upscaled HD, which is what all Olympic 4k feeds are.)

This is a global setting across all of the Sony's Picture Modes, so I can't set it just in Custom picture mode, for example, to have less menus to wade through to switch.
When I go back to any regular HD channel, I have to switch Sony's HDR Mode: Auto. Otherwise it looks dark and oversaturated.

I am going through an Onkyo TX-NR7100 receiver, with HDMI 2.3 ports. But perhaps it is stripping out some HDR mode flag, though still passing HDR data through.

and p.s, someone in an AVS Forum thinks 3814 occasionally has higher bit rate, when "enhanced" appears in description. That is the "enhanced" signal. Not on all program blocks though, and I have yet to see it. 

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@jo_albert​ Interestingly enough, tonight I turned on the lyrics again to channel 1350 and now voila, I have a really nice 4k signal with Atmos sound! Now I think they only broadcast the higher quality during prime time. I will check it out again early tomorrow morning to see if the signal is degraded again. 

Problem Solver

• 

354 Messages

1 month ago

@XfinityDemitrius 

Really?  Comcast posted a release on July 18 saying Enhanced 4K would be available on Xfinity Stream for the Paris Olympics:

• 4K, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos on Xfinity Stream: Xfinity X1 customers wanting to enjoy the games on the go can, for the first time, experience stunning 4K picture quality while watching USA Network’s 24/7 Olympics coverage via the Xfinity Stream app. Also, for the first time, customers can unlock Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos immersive sound via the Xfinity Stream app on compatible streaming devices and TVs.

That seems quite clear that Xfinity Stream will have Atmos audio for X1 customers, which i have been for pushing 20 years.  I am getting Dolby Vision on Ch 1350, the USA4K feed on Stream (although it is not as bright and colorful as HDR on Ch 1350 on my XG1v4 DVR).  But, the audio output is Stereo, not Atmos.  

The last line of that paragraph in the release specified "compatible streaming devices".  My Fire Cube 3 and Roku Ultra both do Atmos from other apps.  But, is there a list of which streaming devices Comcast supports for Atmos from Xfinity Stream? 

Here's a link to the full July 18 announcement:

https://corporate.comcast.com/press/releases/olympic-games-viewing-experience-xfinity-customers

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Please accept my most sincere apology for the experience you have encountered @BIslander. Enhanced 4K is not available on the Xfinity Stream App, and would require an eligible X1 set-top box. (XG1v4 or Xi6). While your devices may support Dolby Atmos, I am showing we only support it on Xfinity X1 device.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Problem Solver

• 

354 Messages

1 month ago

@XfinityDemitrius 

May I request that you do some more checking since your corporate people have made a big deal announcing that Xfinity Stream will support Enhanced 4K for the Olympics, including Atmos, as quoted in my previous post.  This wouldn't be the first time that support people were not updated on a change before it was promoted to the public.  (I hope you aren't suggesting your marketing people have made this up.)

Meanwhile, Atmos aside, I am only getting stereo audio on all programs from the Stream app on both my Fire Cube 3 and Roku Ultra.  Does Stream even do 5.1?

(edited)

Administrator

• 

92 Messages

1 month ago

Hello @BIslander,

This is the our FAQ article for 4k on X1 and Stream for the Olympics.

4K Ultra HD (UHD) and High Dynamic Range (HDR) on Xfinity TV

Thank you again for being part of the community!

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

354 Messages

@XfinityJK 

Thanks.  That's all about 4K video, not audio.  I am getting 4K HDR on my X1 boxes, along with Atmos audio, and 4K Dolby Vision on Xfinity Stream.  But, the audio on Stream is only stereo, not 5.1 or Atmos, from both of my streaming devices, Fire Cube 3rd Generation and Roku Ultra LT.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here