U

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, November 15th, 2022 5:40 PM

Closed

Can't stream local public tv network, getting message, "Due to licensing agreements, some content can only be viewed on your home WiFi."

I am trying to stream my local public tv network, KCAT Channel 15 and I get the message, "Due to licensing agreements, some content can only be viewed on your home WiFi."  However, I know that KCAT does not restrict where it can be viewed.  So what is up with this?  Why can't I view it remotely on my phone?

Problem Solver

• 

502 Messages

2 years ago

Hi @user_d0a050! Thank you for visiting us on the Xfinity Forums for help with this streaming issue. I'd be confused as well about why this network isn't available, so I'm happy to explain further. This is happening because the Xfinity Stream app and website are designed to deliver these channels over the Xfinity network as a part of your plan subscription. This does mean you'd need to be connected to your in-home WiFi to watch.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@XfinityCassandra​ Your statement doesn't provide any rationale for why we are prohibited from streaming local channels on a device. I am currently away from home and want to stream sports on my device. I pay good money for monthly service, but am now having to resort to pirating sporting events from 3rd party websites. Why is this?

With this said, I'd like a better explanation for WHY your customers are we not allowed to view sporting events that are provided by local networks. I'm pretty sure I already pay a separate Broadcast TV Surcharge imposed by local broadcast and affiliate TV stations. That additional fee should be enough to justify streaming on my device while I'm away from home.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

If you were receiving an error that mentioned licensing agreements, then it would mean that in our negotiations with that network, the network doesn't allow live programming to be streamed via the Xfinity Stream app unless you are connected to your in home Wi-Fi network. You can also click this link for more information: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/about-content-on-xfinitytv-com. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

lol. lol. lol. lol. lol. lol . lol

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

This is completely ridiculous. You guys need to discontinue the Xfinity Stream APP. Because it [Edited: "Language"]!!! I am trying to watch the Grammy's. It's FREE ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!! But because I am not on my 'Home' Wi-Fi it says I'm restricted to watch it. Now that's just stupid. I could even see if it was an NFL Game because different regions don't air certain games. But the GRAMMYS???? I guess I won't be able to watch the OSCARS either. huh? So for the Xfinity top-Brass reading this. This is my last straw I've been a loyal customer forever. But side note I'm also a Knick Fan who lives in CT and I haven't been able to watch a Knick Game on Xfinity in TWO YEARS!!! But OK, that's cool. Even though you guys still charge me $7 a month sports broadcasting fee. But now I'm convinced I must cut the cord because I am completely unhappy with your service. For the record My name is I.[Edited: "Personal Information"] and I live in New Haven CT. I'm sure you guys can find me with that information if you want to apologize or explain how 'red tape' stops me from viewing the Grammy's while 1 billion other people are tuning in.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Extremely sorry for any bad experience. Network broadcasting agreements are unique and not something that is general for every channel or broadcast. We greatly appreciate your time and thank you so much for taking the time to reach out and share this feedback. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I've been streaming Morning Joe for a year and a half on my desktop and as of today, "due to licensing agreements, some content can only be view on your home wifi" [Edited: "Language"]???????????????

I'm not married to xifitnity, that's for sure! If this is how you treat your customers, then go take a flying one! [Edited: "Inflammatory"]!!!!

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

2 years ago

Unless you live way out in the boonies, you could solve your problem by getting an amplified antenna to get all the available over the air channels.

Frequent Visitor

• 

15 Messages

2 years ago

Dirty lying Xfinity now I can't get a decent picture I don't want their package I don't want their internet. lying cheats they're thieves. [Edited: "Language/Inflammatory"]

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

If you've updated your equipment recently you need to login to your account on the website and go to support then the "reset modem" page to see what MAC addresses are listed. In my case the old modem was still on there and also the new modems MAC address was wrong (they ask for a "CMAC" and newer Arris modems have a "WAN MAC" and a "HFC MAC" on the sticker. The "HFC MAC" is the one they need to use don't even mention the other one.)
If your modem MAC address on your account it wrong then you need to open a chat with support and talk to a representative to have them remove any MAC addresses on your account and add only the "HFC MAC" for your new modem. Basically what's happening is your modem's online but not registered on the network with the right info. Their systems can't tell what kind of modem you're actually using and can't send the firmware update it needs to let you view "In Home" streaming content through the Xfinity website/app.

I hope this helps anyone out there baffled why they couldn't watch the Super Bowl.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I don't really think it's all a licensing agreement issue. It's xfinity being greedy. It's not JUST that you have to be on your "in home Wi-Fi network." You have to be on your XFINITY-provided network. Meaning, if you are home, but you do not use xfinity for internet (e.g. you use Verizon FIOS for Internet and xfinity for just TV), you'll get the same message. They want you to pay for their internet as well. It's all pointless - if I was home, I'd watch on my darn TV.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here