MrHo's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, March 2nd, 2019 9:00 PM

Closed

Problem with MMS since update to android pie

I have a galaxy s9 which recently updated to android pie. Ever since, I've been unable to send or receive MMS messages....regular texts work fine. I've gone thru several online trouble shooting steps without success. Other forms of mobile data work fine. One of the online trouble shooting steps suggested checking the APN in carrier settings. However, when I attempted to check the settings the screen says "Access Point Names not available for this user". Is this normal? What else can I do short of completely wiping my phone and starting from scratch? Are there network settings on the carrier side that need to be changed?

Thanks

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

First - this is NOT an Xfinity problem.  I had (yes, "had" - we'll get to that) the problem and it was an issue on any wifi connection - home, work (not Xfinity), my brother's house (not Xfinity)...  In addition,  I have a Samsung S9+ and my wife has an S9.  We got them at the same time.  Hers has never had this problem.  We both use Messages from Google LLC instead of Messages from Samsung.  Oddly, we have different versions listed - hers is newer - so I was trying to get that one to load on my phone, with no luck.  However, uninstall and reinstall of the application resolved my issue.  I had gone through all settings and found no differences, but I may have missed something.  I also had the problem with Messages from Samsung and now no longer, so reinstalling the Google app changed something that affected both apps.

For those interested, here are the versions.  I'm going to contact Google about that.  

5.4.087 Roper_RC15  1/29/2020  mine
5.7.097 Unicorn_RC09  3/25/2020  hers

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

4 years ago

MMS seemed to be working fine for me this past weekend (after months of same problem).  I didn't notice any updates, so not sure if just a fluke or something was fixed.  But I didn't have to turn WiFi off to send mms messages.  Will continue to monitor, but fingers crossed.  (Samsung S10+)

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

Not that, either. A web search shows people with several carriers with the same issue - T-mobile, Cricket... Try uninstall/reinstall? Can't hurt.

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

4 years ago

I just tried to send myself a pic with wifi on and no luck. I did have a pic go through on both google messaging and Samsung messaging the other night. I got all excited but the next morning, I was back to it not working again....

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

4 years ago

All Samsung devices though, correct? When I chatted with Samsung, they acted like they had no idea what i was referring to. I highly doubt that's true.

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

4 years ago

I have the same version as your wife. I'm not able to send pics without turning off wifi with either it or the Samsung messaging app.

I didn't mean that it was an Xfinity internet problem...I meant an Xfinity mobile problem.

When I got my phone, they sent me a new SIM card. They were unable to transfer my # to the new SIM for some reason so they told me to put the old SIM in the new phone. That meant they had 2 SIM cards registered to me so I have 2 lines listed on my account but I only have one phone. I've been trying to get that straightened out for over a month. Every time I call, they escalate me to a higher tier, I'm assured the issue will be fixed and they'll follow up with it and call me back to verify that. No one calls me back, I call back and we start the whole thing again. I don't have a whole lot of faith when Xfinity says "it's not us, it's Samsung!" 

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

And apparently, mine has stopped working again, too.  Frustrating issue. 

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

4 years ago

Too funny bc I just popped on here to say that I just sent a couple pics without turning wifi off. We'll see how long it lasts.

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

4 years ago

It's been working fine for me for about a week now, but agree that it is a bit slower than expected.  As long as it's working with any manual intervention, I'm happy!  Fingers crossed.

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

4 years ago

Currently working  but don't know how long that will last. Seems pretty sporadic and very slow, about 10 seconds to send a picture. Turning the wifi off sends within a couple seconds and the Macrodroid turns it back on pretty much instantaneously so we'll see.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I don't know why everyone is saying this is a Samsung issue. My hubby just got a Moto G7 Power and it has the same problem except it won't send/receive with wifi on or off, only with data on. Also, doesn't like regular group messages either.

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

4 years ago

Isn't that funny....Textra didn't work for me when I tried it. I ended up installing macroDroid which will automatically turn my wifi back on if I have to turn it off to send a mms. For the most part now, I don't have to turn off the wifi to send anything, whether that was an update on Samsung's, Android's or Xfinity's part I don't know. Once in a blue moon I'll get something that doesn't go through. Odd. For what you pay now for a phone and service, the things should perform flawlessly.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Just thought I'd add a bit here as a new Xfinity Mobile customer. My wife and I are having this issue. I use the texting app Textra which has a setting for this exact reason that switches off WiFi to send/receive an MMS and then turns it back on. Very handy.

Frequent Visitor

• 

15 Messages

4 years ago

My Samsung Galaxy A50 is finally able to send MMS without turning off the wifi.

Contributor

• 

179 Messages

4 years ago

Nice job describing symptoms and workaround, people!   🙂     Trying different messaging apps is a great way to test/mitigate/workaround these sorts of android MMS/texting problems.    Remember to try the default google "blue icon" messaging app too as well as the manufacturer default.   Try that blue default google messaging app especially when the manufacturer default messaging app keeps tanking...

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here