MrHo's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, March 2nd, 2019 9:00 PM

Closed

Problem with MMS since update to android pie

I have a galaxy s9 which recently updated to android pie. Ever since, I've been unable to send or receive MMS messages....regular texts work fine. I've gone thru several online trouble shooting steps without success. Other forms of mobile data work fine. One of the online trouble shooting steps suggested checking the APN in carrier settings. However, when I attempted to check the settings the screen says "Access Point Names not available for this user". Is this normal? What else can I do short of completely wiping my phone and starting from scratch? Are there network settings on the carrier side that need to be changed?

Thanks

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Problem Solver

• 

749 Messages

4 years ago

@LorraineG wrote:
Ok, after sending or attempting to send pictures for the past few hours...I had tried resizing before but apparently I just wasn't going small enough. Anything under 150kb will go through without my turning wifi off. Anything over won't unless I turn wifi off.
Soooooo...did my iPhone automatically resize my mms prior to sending OR did my iPhone automatically turn off the wifi or somehow direct mms directly to cellular? I never had to resize or turn wifi off even sending to Samsung or Google users (folks not using imessage). If I can't get the phone to bypass the wifi, can I get it to resize mms prior to sending?
Turning off the wifi is a pain but I'm certainly not going to manually resize mms before I send it. There has to be a way to do this.

What phone are you using and what version of software are you using and do you have cellular data on and do you have WiFi Calling on.

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

4 years ago

Note 10

Android version 10, cellular data on, I also tried the "always on" setting. Wifi calling is currently on but I've also tried off, that was one of the first suggestions I ran across.

To add insult to injury, I just did a chat with xfinity who says it's a samsung issue which is supposed to be fixed with an update but when I chatted with Samsung, they told me that Xfinity was the problem and I would need to have them adjust some settings? No mention of any update to fix anything.

Xfinity DID say that their "standard limit" (whatever that means) is 600kb although I couldn't get anything over 150 to go through.

Problem Solver

• 

749 Messages

4 years ago

@LorraineG wrote:

Note 10

Android version 10, cellular data on, I also tried the "always on" setting. Wifi calling is currently on but I've also tried off, that was one of the first suggestions I ran across.

To add insult to injury, I just did a chat with xfinity who says it's a samsung issue which is supposed to be fixed with an update but when I chatted with Samsung, they told me that Xfinity was the problem and I would need to have them adjust some settings? No mention of any update to fix anything.

Xfinity DID say that their "standard limit" (whatever that means) is 600kb although I couldn't get anything over 150 to go through.

Okay, all seriousness aside, I think I need to take some Advil. 

Sending SMS or MMS should have nothing to do with WiFi being turned on or off, however if WiFi is turned on and WiFi Calling is turned on, there is a known problem with XM WiFi Calling causing dropped calls and SMS/MMS failure for many users, including me..

Be aware that all carriers have their own MMS size limits for sending MMS and these usually vary from .5MB to 1.2MB. The carriers have less control on the receiving end. which is why you are receiving MMS.  Your chat suggests that XM has a .6MB limit. Some carriers will attempt to compress photos, but I doubt that XM  bothers with this. 

My guess is that either WiFi Calling is the problem or your carrier settings associated with Android 10 is the problem. Can you live without WiFi Calling? Try resetting your carrier settings. 

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

4 years ago

What I don't understand is that I was able to send full size photos over 3 mb on my iPhone with no problem and I don't mean imessage. Xfinity says nothing has changed on their end.
Reset network setting again and turned off wifi calling. No go.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I've got an S8+ with Textra.  You can set a maximum MMS size in the Settings menu with Textra.  The default size is 1000k and pictures would not go through.

I was able to get a 300k picture to go through fine.

With 600k, it went through but took several minutes.

I'm settling on 300k.

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

any updates since August?  I can use the android app and send group text, but not pictures...i can use the verizon plus app and send group and pictures. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

We downloaded the verizon texting app and it won't let you use it unless your phone is on their account? am I missing something? 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I use a third-party texting app, and I still have that same issue. I cannot send pics unless I turn off Wi-Fi

Contributor

• 

16 Messages

4 years ago

I too have a Galaxy S10 and can't send MMS images through the Xfinity messaging app.  So I switched defaults to the Facebook app for messaging. I don't like it as well, but it's pretty astonishing that Xfinity/Samsung can't get their act together, messaging is king.  

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

4 years ago

Xfinity told me this was supposed to be addressed by a samsung update that was supposed to be out on march 18th. Guess not.

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

I have the same issue.  I sure would like to see this resolved, too.

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

4 years ago

I'd be happy if the wifi would automatically turn off automatically and back on after sending, I keep forgetting to turn it back on and use more data than usual.

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

4 years ago

I have a Samsung Note10 and I can't believe there is no way to have the phone realize the wifi has been toggled off and turn it back on.

I hear you on that. I had open heart surgery 8 months ago and had lung issues afterward. Don't want to go THERE again!

#StaySafeStayHome

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

I'm having the same problem. Spent 2 hours on the phone with Xfinity Mobile. Customer service reps were nice, but I was told to turn Mobile Data on. Just turned it off, and things started working again. They also said it was a Samsung issue, and Samsung was going to have an update in April. We'll see what won't work then.🤔

I have a Galaxy S8, and using the un-installable app that came with the phone.  I tried it with Google's Messages, and it had the same problem. I'll try reinstalling Googles again and see if it works.

At the moment I'm more concerned with COVID-19, and thankful that life is good. I have a friend in her 30's who caught it, and is thankfully recovering. She said you don't want to find out what it's like!

I'm heading to 72 in July, and the parts don't work the way they use to. 

I can live with a semi-operational phone, wash my hands lots, and stop myself from touching my face unless I'm close to my shower!😷😎

Everyone stay well.

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

4 years ago

As suggested from a Reddit member, I downloaded Macrodroid. It has a ton of options on an "if this...then that" platform.
It was simple to do an if I turn my wifi off (to send a pic or mms), it turns it back on. You can't dally, it turns it back on within seconds. Not as good as it turning off and back on automatically but better than forgetting it's on and using too much data...
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here