MrHo's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, March 2nd, 2019 9:00 PM

Closed

Problem with MMS since update to android pie

I have a galaxy s9 which recently updated to android pie. Ever since, I've been unable to send or receive MMS messages....regular texts work fine. I've gone thru several online trouble shooting steps without success. Other forms of mobile data work fine. One of the online trouble shooting steps suggested checking the APN in carrier settings. However, when I attempted to check the settings the screen says "Access Point Names not available for this user". Is this normal? What else can I do short of completely wiping my phone and starting from scratch? Are there network settings on the carrier side that need to be changed?

Thanks

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

5 years ago

Yea this is pretty sneaky. This is obvious to me that they are trying new ways to make us use more mobile data. Most users will just accept it and leave mobile data on. Sad.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

This is for sure in purpose. They are systematically removing the ability from third party messaging apps. After update built in app wouldn't send, switched to Google's messaging app, and it worked. Today neither work, and Google has updated the documentation to say "on select carriers"

Regular Contributor

• 

169 Messages

5 years ago

That's why i like my S8. I'm on a very old system old BRB1 one of the very last nougat system images. So i can maintain root.
Plus my system is about as stable as can be. Only reason i use a 3rd party app is cause one of my themes clash and my stock app is themed wrong. I can't see my texts. As in the text fonts are white on white bubbles. 😂😂😂

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

How did you get MMS to work without data turned on? Is there a work around?

Regular Contributor

• 

169 Messages

5 years ago

Verizon messages plus app

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I saw your post and tried it. You are right. I was already using a third party app. It was not working until I turned off WiFi and turned on data. I've never used data. So I agree that this is a way to get you to use data.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the tip to use Version msg app.

Not as pretty, in my opinion as Samsung, but it does work on WiFi allowing me to once again turn off mobil data and save $$.

By the way, I spent almost an entire day on the phone with Samsung and Comcast trying to fix the problem and both the Samsung 2nd level and Xfinity 2nd level techs were as frustrated as I was trying to get it to work.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I tried the Verizon app and it stopped working. Did you adjust any settings? I've always used a third party messaging app and they all have stopped working.

Regular Contributor

• 

169 Messages

5 years ago

@rb47 wrote:

Thanks for the tip to use Version msg app.

Not as pretty, in my opinion as Samsung, but it does work on WiFi allowing me to once again turn off mobil data and save $$.

By the way, I spent almost an entire day on the phone with Samsung and Comcast trying to fix the problem and both the Samsung 2nd level and Xfinity 2nd level techs were as frustrated as I was trying to get it to work.

With this app you don't even need wifi on.   It sends without either   as well once you get into the app you can theme it a bit 

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Editing to add: people, this is NOT Comcast/Xfinity trying to raise your bill. It's a SAMSUNG issue with the Pie update. Relax already. 🙄😂

Lol, it put me over by 1mb last month, and I *never* go over. Xfinity happily waived the $12 charge for me without me even having to ask. 🙂
The MMS issue is because of the update; it's a Samsung issue, not an Xfinity one. There's another update to fix this issue in pre-release testing now, so hang in there for another week or two. This info came courtesy of a VERY thorough and helpful Xfinity Mobile employee named Erica. 🙂

Official Employee

• 

8K Messages

5 years ago

Hey All, we are aware of the issue with MMS this update brought along. For the meantime, please use another app as your default for texting. For example, I use TEXTRA on my LG G6 and it works like a charm. 

Ken

Regular Contributor

• 

169 Messages

5 years ago

I would like to know where you got your info as this issue does not exist on other carriers.  Verizon included  so Samsung starting with the s8 makes one updates for all the phones and the carriers tweak it for their own.  I work with androids on a daily basis and no one else I have seen on any other carrier has had this issue.  And as stated by a Comcast employee they are aware of the situation and working on it.  

I was a moderator on a cell site with over 9 million users and well informed of going ons  and issues as such.  

The actual firmware from s8 and up are all interchangeable the only thing that defines each device is the CSC file which is what makes carrier tweaks.  If it was a Samsung issue all of em would be going through it.  Because we all know xfinity employees  would never lie cheat or give false information to anyone 😂😂😂

Official Employee

• 

8K Messages

5 years ago

wintermute151, we are aware of the issue and are working on fix. 

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

5 years ago

And sure we should believe you. Well I'm the senior lead of Verizon and I say it is happening on all carriers. there. Believe me. Btw I have friends on other carriers that also have the issue. Believe me.

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the reply. So you are aware of the issue and going to fix it? Or you are aware of the issue and not going to fix it?
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here