A

Saturday, July 20th, 2024 4:20 PM

Xfinity App no longer displays upload speed

Just as Xfinity notified me that -- due to a network upgrade in my service area, my upload speed should be 5x to 10x faster than before the upgrade -- I have discovered that the Xfinity app no longer displays measured upload speed in the gateway test results!

What on earth informed Xfinity's decision to remove that meaningful parameter from the gateway test??

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

3 months ago

Hello @Aged_Flyer Thank you for sharing the upgrade you received and for reaching out on our Xfinity Forums! I thought the upload speed was missing in my app as well, but I found that if you select show more to the right of the download speed it will populate the upload along with other details for the connection and test. Do you have the option for show more next to the download results?

With the Next Generation speed upgrade completed in your area you may need to upgrade your modem to a compatible device if you are not leasing a Xfinity Gateway. Here is a list of compatible devices, the Next Generation devices are at the top of the list.

4 Messages

Hello, @XfinityPaula​.  Thanks for replying.  "Show more" ** was ** the way to see additional information.  However, in version 5.28.0 of the Xfinity app, "show more" no longer exists.

Really odd to remove the upload metric. Hopefully it's a coding 'oops' during development of the current version.   However, it 

mght cause some to think it's not being disclosed to hide the fact that HFC is asymmetrical when consumers are comparing performance against symmetrical fiber competitors!  I'll assume it's the first explanation and leave the second to the conspiracy theorists! 

Regards,

Aged_Flyer

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Aged_Flyer, It is our pleasure to assist. In addition to the app, here is a great weblink to another XFINITY speed test that shows both the upload and download speeds. Please let me know if this helps.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Version 5.29 doesn’t reflect download speeds either 

As such we can’t see download or upload speeds at the router to determine if we are receiving speeds we are paying for.  

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

@user_8832c9 Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Can you try our webpage at https://speedtest.xfinity.com/ and let us know if you're able to see your upload speeds during your speed test?

Also, You have the power to submit feedback directly through the Xfinity app! 

Open your Xfinity app, click Account at the bottom and scroll down to More Resources.

Click Submit App Feedback.  Please include your OS and app version and note the previous app version offered this option. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

4 Messages

@XfinityKei

Yes, https://speedtest.xfinity.com/ does display the tested upload speed.  However, that test is significantly different than the test in the Xfinity app and is not a fully appropriate substitute (please see my reply to @XfinityGabriel on 7/24).

I originally reported the problem with v5.28.0 and it persists in v5.29.0.  Earlier versions of the app did not exhibit the problem. 

OS is Android 14 on a very clean device (only OEM apps and Xfinity app installed -- no other added apps).

Please confirm that you have tested and observed the problem.  I have screenshots, but there doesn't appear to be any provision for uploading them to forum posts.

Lastly, the post from @XfinityGabriel on 7/23 did not include any method to directly reply to or comment on his post other than via a general post.  It may well have been unintentional, but is really poor form for an Xfinity employee to utilize when replying to a forum post.

The appropriate Xfinity individual(s) need to be informed of the problem so that they can rectify it in the next release of the Xfinity app.

4 Messages

3 months ago

@XfinityGabriel

Yes, there is the Xfinity Speed Test.  However, like all generic Internet speed tests, it tests the speed to the endpoint device -- which is very different from measuring the speed to the gateway.  The result will often be significantly slower as it includes the impact of the effective WiFi data rate (if WiFi is being used), endpoint device limitations, etc. The info provided by the Xfinity app are the speeds strictly to (and from -- when it's not hidden as it currently is) the gateway itself strictly within the Xfinity HFC network, thus excluding all variables in the customer's local-area network, be it Ethernet or WiFi.  Accordingly, it's solely a test of the Xfinity cable network between the Xfinity headend and the gateway, free of any influence from the customer's WiFi (or Ethernet) network and devices.  Totally different!

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

2 months ago

I have the same issue using app version 5.30.0. Now when you run the gateway test all you get is confirmation that the gateway is on line. Is this a temporary exclusion of useful end user data or are Xfinity withholding the speed test data to hide some poor performance stats. ?? 

Official Employee

• 

2K Messages

AESWAA Hi there!  I've found that if you select show more to the right of the download speed it will populate the upload along with other details for the connection and test. Do you have the option for show more next to the download results? 

You can also go to https://speedtest.xfinity.com/ to test your speed via the weblink.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here