U

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, September 19th, 2022 5:33 PM

Closed

Is Xfinity App required??

I have Xfinity internet but choose to use my own equipment.  When I log into my Xfinity account, there is a heading for "Add or Manage Devices", but when I click on it, the website breaks and I'm told I must contact Customer Service.  When I reach out to Customer Service, I'm told I MUST download the app in order to manage devices.  What are we to do if we don't have a smart phone?  The only recourse I can think of is to cancel my service.  

Official Solution

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

2 years ago

@user_828a1a 

Welcome to the Xfinity Forum and thank you for posting your question here. In order to manage connected devices, you must have Xfinity Internet (which it sounds like you do) AND you must be using an Xfinity xFi gateway. Due to the fact that you are using your own modem, this feature will not be available for you through either the Xfinity website or app. You will need to manage connected devices via your modem's user interface (GUI). If you would like to switch to an Xfinity xFi gateway, please let us know and we will be happy to help you make that change. If you decide to switch to an xFi gateway you will be able to manage connected devices on both the Xfinity website and app. 

Additional information about all the features included with an xFi Gateway can be found here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-xfi-overview & https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/modems-and-routers

Please let us know if you have any other questions or need anything more from us. 

(edited)

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@XfinityJessie​ 

Suppose I want to upgrade my modem to a newer model (but not one rented from Xfinity).  Does this mean I do not need to update the device on my Xfinity Profile?

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

@user_828a1a 

If you choose to upgrade your own purchased modem, simply let us know when it is purchased and we will help you to get it activated and showing correctly on your Xfinity profile. Keep in mind, if you would like to take advantage of any of the xFi features (including managing devices), you must lease your modem through Comcast. 

Again, please let us know if you have any other questions. 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

I wish there was a way to do this "simply" as you said.  But each time I call customer service, it is a nightmare trying to break through the automated menu and talk to a human.  Is there a reason why we can't just do it from the website?

Official Employee

• 

443 Messages

@user_828a1a  You can activate from the App.  You can find the steps and further information here: https://comca.st/3RWcR5f;   Please let us know if you have any further questions.

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Finding a way to do this independently of the App was the whole point of my question.  Is there a reason why we can't just do it from the website?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here