C

Visitor

Β β€’Β 

5 Messages

Wednesday, August 10th, 2022 4:40 PM

Closed

Cant Add or Delete Port forwarding issue solved.

Background:
7 Months ago when you could add and delete port forwarding entries, it had this strange issue. It would say the device is 10.0.0.24 but the forwarding entry would send the traffic to 10.0.0.25. Some glitch added +1 to the IP address. I solved this but manually setting my PC ip address up one number. Went through 3 months of bizarre DNS issues, 3 routers, and countless calls. Now I cannot add, change, or delete my port forwarding entry.

I do remote production and use USB over IP systems for camera and lighting control. So, this has been a massive issue for me. Fix 1 may work for most but the specific application I'm using doesn't use UPnP. Fix 2 was my ultimate solution. My PC is the server, and the remote PC is the client. But in order to trigger that port I have to open BOTH the client, and the server app on my PC. Running the client kicks the door open and allows the remote client to come back in through the router. Then I close the client app on my PC and proceed as normal.

Your router acts as a firewall, only letting specific things in and out. For many applications to work, they need a specific "door" or port, to go in and out of the PC. UPnP allows applications to automatically tell the router which ports to open and close. Port Triggering is effectively the same thing, but instead of telling the router which port to open, and where to send the traffic, it says, "If anything goes out of this port, data can be allowed into it while its open."

Fix 1 - Enable UPnP
Step 1) Log into the router (normally 10.0.0.1) Under "Advanced" navigate to "Device Discovery."
Step 2) Make sure your settings look exactly like this.

Fix 2 - Port Triggering

1. Log into the router (normally 10.0.0.1) Under "Advanced" navigate to "Port Triggering."
2. Add the entry like you would a normal forwarding.

3. Run both the client, and server to open the connection, then close which ever one you don't need.

My router is a Arris TG3482G but the process should be similar for other routers.

I hate xfinity and will be switching back to verizon. Worst ISP of my life. Never had issues like this. That's what happens when an ISP reaches their hand wayyyy to far into customers equipment and internet. In the work from home era, I have no clue why they're so flippant. I guess a monopoly means you get to bleed customers and not care.

Official Employee

Β β€’Β 

1.3K Messages

2 years ago

Hello and thank you for reaching out to our Digital Care Team. We certainly understand the frustration you've experienced but happy you've found a solution. We would certainly hate to lose you as a customer, ever since you've found a solution have you experienced any further issues?

Visitor

Β β€’Β 

5 Messages

@XfinityGabby​ Inevitably 

Official Employee

Β β€’Β 

1.8K Messages

We are sorry to hear that. Can you tell us more about the issue you have been experiencing? -Airelle 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

Β β€’Β 

1 Message

1 year ago

Thank you for this πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™.

I checked all the forums for a solution to port forwarding after Xfinity messed it up.

This is the only thing that actually worked. Thank you for this. 

Also, we will most likely be switching ISP's too soon.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here